C++ "compiler" speed enhancements

Hi,

it would be great to have a tool that enhances C++ compilation time, breaking it down to functions instead of libraries for Linux (VB.Net supports sth similar and a commercial tool for Microsoft Visual Studio C++ (recode), that seems to be it ?)

I have been lately thinking about doing so to enhance debugging (rerun functions after an update) and programmability in terms of time spend.

The basic idea is to create a programming framework that recreates functions, classes etc. as runtime objects parsing C++ code, thus runtime-speed would slow down and development cycles would speed up. Once the development process is sufficient, the real C++ compiler would be called to create machine code.

C++ related questions:
To do so I am running into two technical problems:
1.) How to do casting at runtime ? An idea would be to have a separate
dynamic library that does the casting, is there a better way of doing it?
2.) Would it be possible to create general function pointers on runtime?
What is been looked for is a pointer to a function returning any type having any type of arguments and being able to call that function on runtime having its address and the arguments that should be forwarded into it.
std::function< ... > for instance ?

I am not sure if there is a difference between different OSs if the function address would be known when jumping to the function address with execution, but I am guessing so. A proper programming construct may save some thinking here.

None technical questions:
Are there any restrictions by ISO or other organisations that would prohibit doing so?
Last edited on
How would that increase the speed of development?

I'm not sure what exactly your are thinking off. Are you talking about an interpreter?

If so take a look at this:

https://www.softintegration.com/

By the way: A dll exports functions and objects by name only hence you will find it by the name and then cast it to whatever it is supposed to be.
interesting. Did not know about Ch. It seems to be a good tool to get started.

The two questions have been solved. Thx for your interest.

By the way what am I am talking about is rapid prototyping within large scale projects.:
e.g.:
http://www.indefiant.com/

And reverse debugging.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.