How to display checkers board/pieces?

I am trying to develop a checkers board game as a side project while I go through my schooling, however I have never really ventured past developing a console application. Outside of C++, other software would be needed to be able to develop this program? (I am trying to develop an actual .exe application that a user can simply double click on their desktop, and load up the game.)

Should I use QT and/or SDL? etc..
C++ doesn't have a built in graphics library, so yes, you would have to use an external framework.

I would recommend SDL to you. It has way more possibilities. It is actually designed with game development in mind, in contrast with QT which is designed for GUI applications and it just doesn't have the strength to code games in it. Even though with simple small games it wouldn't matter.

In terms of difficulty SDL would be more difficult, which is to be expected. It works together with OpenGL, so you would have to learn about that as well.

P.S.: Never liked QT.
SDL is pretty decent- I use that for my c++ game projects, QT is great, wxWidgets is great- do whatever you please.

All of these will compile into an exe that your user can click on.

One mistake I regret making is trying to do everything myself in the beginning. I spent more time developing an engine than I did developing my games. It was fun, and helped me learn a lot- but don't be afraid to explore other routes (like unity, or other game engine/development kits)
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.