Caesar

Hi guys, I have written a "Caesar cipher" code but I've been stuck since 2 days trying to work out why the section of my code that is supposed to increment the alphabet is not working...

when source is "a" and c is 1 it gives me a symbol '{' whereas if I change line 70 to source[i]-- it works, the code is working for decrement but not increment!!!

#include<iostream>
#include<string>

using namespace std;

string Encrypt(string&, int &);// Function Prototype.  This declares Encrypt to be a function that needs one variable as string and another as integer as arguments. Reference operator & in prototype

int main()
{

string text;//the string that holds the user input

int key;//key holds the number by which the user wants the alphabets to be shifted

cout << "Enter your phrase: " << endl;
	getline(cin, text);//gets the user input ( including spaces and saves it to the variable text)

cout << "Please choose a number(key) for which you wants the alphabets to be shifted:  " << endl;
	/*Note: the key can either be positive (forward shifting), negative (backward shifting) or zero (no shifting)*/

cin >> key;//User input for number by which alphabets are going to be shifted

cout << "Encrypted Message: " << Encrypt(text, key) << endl;//Function call to display encrypted message

//system("Pause");

return 0;
}

string Encrypt(string& Source, int& c)
{
	char fUpperCase[26] = { 'A', 'B', 'C', 'D', 'E', 'F', 'G', 'H', 'I', 'J', 'K', 'L', 'M', 'N', 'O', 'P', 'Q', 'R', 'S', 'T', 'U', 'V', 'W', 'X', 'Y', 'Z' };//Initialization of class member
	char fLowerCase[26] = { 'a', 'b', 'c', 'd', 'e', 'f', 'g', 'h', 'i', 'j', 'k', 'l', 'm', 'n', 'o', 'p', 'q', 'r', 's', 't', 'u', 'v', 'w', 'x', 'y', 'z' };//Initialization of class member

int z;//z holds the value (int) of the length of the user input ( including spaces)
	z = (int)Source.length();	/*give the variable z the value of the user input length and length is normally an unsigned long integer hence
								we have to typecast it*/

/*counter that makes it keep looping until it "encrypts" all of the user input (that's why it keeps looping while its less than z)*/
	for (int i = 0; i < z; i++)
	{
		for (int j = 0; j < 26; j++)
		{
			if (Source[i] == fLowerCase[j] || Source[i] == fUpperCase[j])
			{
				//text[i] = fLowerCase[j];

if (c > 0)
				{
					//another counter that loops forwards key times by incrementing method
					for (int counter = 0; counter < c; counter++)
					{
						/*it checks if the letter text[x] is 'z' and if it is 'z' it will make it 'a'*/
						/*if (Source[i] == 'z')
						{
							Source[i] = 'a';
						}

else if (Source[i] == 'Z')
						{
							Source[i] = 'A';
						}*/

//else
						//{
							Source[i]++;
						//}

}
				}

else	if (c < 0)
				{
					//another counter that loops backwards key times by decrementing method
					for (int counter = 0; counter < abs(c); counter++)
					{
						/*it checks if the letter text[x] is 'a' and if it is 'a' it will make it 'z'*/
						if (Source[i] == 'a')
						{
							Source[i] = 'z';
						}

else if (Source[i] == 'A')
						{
							Source[i] = 'Z';
						}

else
						{
							Source[i]--;
						}
					}
				}

else
				{
					Source[i];//No alphabet shifts
				}

}

}

}

return Source;
}
For each character you loop through all letters in the alphabet. When you find the letter you're looking for you shift it the number of steps given by the key. The problem with this is that if the letter is shifted to a letter that comes later in the alphabet the loop will find it again and therefore shift it once again. To fix this problem you must make sure that each letter is only shifted once.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.