Searching text files for items of same type

Hi everyone!

So, I am trying to run a function that would search a file that is filled with data in this format:

// each line is a library item.
type unique-id title | author-or-artist-name
BOOK 43045 Computer Science Hits | Neil Dale and John Lewis
BOOK 47341 How Computers Work | Ron White
REF 48462 Encyclopedia Britannica | Britannica Inc.
REF 47344 National Geographic Computer | Lucy Spelman
BOOK 48450 Java: A Beginner's Guide | Herbert Schildt
CD 48452 Traveller | Chris Staphleton
CD 48453 How Can It Be Java | Lauren Daigle
REF 48460 The Merriam-Webster Dictionary | Merriam
BOOK 45552 Python Programming | John Zelle
CD 45553 I Still Do Programming | Eric Clapton
BOOK 45557 Beginning Software Engineering | Rod Stephens
REF 45559 A dictionary of nutrition | David Bender
CD 45561 Best Eagles Dictionary Songs | Eagles
CD 46555 The Ultimate Computer Hits | Garth Brooks

The function would check for a specific type of item (listed in the first column) and display the information of all items with that type. So my question is:
Is the best method of listing one type of item from a .txt to search the file for that word, then put all those into a vector and display to user? If not, how should I do this?
Last edited on
I think it will be better to list one type of item from .txt to search the file for that word and then display the user.
closed account (48T7M4Gy)
Is the best method of listing one type of item from a .txt to search the file for that word

It would work but unlikely to be seen as very practical for a real-life/professional solution.

then put all those into a vector and display to user?

You might need to split the lines into more than two columns but it would be a good way to go, <maps> too might be worth a look because they are accessible using key values so are quicker to access.
Last edited on
I would create a struct Media, read the file line by line into the struct and store it in a vector. Then you can easily use the find, sort algorithms of the stl.
struct Media
{
   string type;
   int id;
   string title;
   string author;
}
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.