Books to clean my C++ Knowledge

Hello cplusplus-forum : )

I'm looking for a book to get a clean understanding of C++11/14.

Since I learned with questionable sources, I would really like to get away from my possible bad habits.
However, I already programmed fair a bit in C++ and am no beginner to programming in general.

I checked the stackoverflow-list already: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/388242/the-definitive-c-book-guide-and-list

Sadly, I'm not sure if any of these would really meet my necessities.
Stroustrup's "Programming: Principles and Practice Using C++" seems to be for beginners even though stackoverflow says different.

"Effective Modern C++" seems to be a book aiming on certain areas only.

Also read about "The C++ Standard Library" by Josuttis, but it's not updated for C++14. Additionally, the price is quite high which in addition to C++11 only, makes it kind of a bad sounding deal for me.

I would be super happy if someone could help me out : )

Thanks for reading!

It seems you already know about C++; if that's the case, I'd recommend Deitel's C++ Object's First (the latest edition).

I read it after I was comfortable with the overall C++ syntax and it was a huge help in upping my coding standards. I now use it for my clients whom I tutor as well.

Stroustrup's books are rarely for beginners. Usually, he also adds quite a bit of theory (which can throw off even the intermediate programmer). If you feel you're up for it; go ahead and try it, but I recommend taking it slow.

Hope that helped,
Joe
www.concordspark.com
Recommended: Stroustrup's 'A tour of C++'

Free (pdf): https://isocpp.org/tour
Book: http://www.pearsoned.co.uk/bookshop/detail.asp?item=100000000555425

For a list of new features: http://www.stroustrup.com/C++11FAQ.html
closed account (48T7M4Gy)
Last edited on
Thanks for all replies : )

I looked for Deitel's books and found "C++ How to Program (10th Edition)".
Is it that book? If yes, the price a too expensive for me.
Which is sad, since it seems to be updated for C++14.

Thanks, JLBorges. I will check these sources out!
Nonetheless, "A Tour of C++" by Stroustrup (4th edition), has not been updated for C++14 : /

Thanks, kermort.

I would be really thankful for any further recommendations : )
closed account (48T7M4Gy)
Last edited on
Yes, unfortunately, the Deitel books are often quite expensive; however, they are worth the value since they really dig into all the new features of C++ while promoting good coding practices.
The Dietels learned C++? Last I saw, their "C++ how to program" was downright awful, but it was back in early 2000's. I should take a look at that 10th edition.. table of contents is not inspiring too much confidence, but not that bad either.
Last edited on
Thanks everyone for your contributions to this thread : )

I'm not just starting, kemort. However, I want to revise my knowledge of C++ due the fear of learning bad practices from questionable sources over the years.
Therefore, I doubt the Tour book would really be the right for me - it seems to be a bit short, too.
As in my start post said, I'm looking for a book with C++11 and 14 : )

I'm aware C++17 will come out at some point, but that is still quite some time.
Until then, I want to improve/better my current knowledge.

In the end, I'm still looking for more recommendations. Sadly, all the comprehensive books seem not to be updated, which is sad (except Deitel) : /

I would like to specify my search to at least C++11.

I thougt about buying C++ Primer, is it true that it does not say anything about multithreading? Is this book really rather aimed for beginners?
Last edited on
Yes, C++ Primer does assume zero knowledge or beginner status. However, it does deal with some various advanced topics (took a look at the TOC in amazon). With that being said, the easiest thing I'd recommend is to go to a bookstore - Chapters, would be a good start - and read up on some programming books.

They're bound to have some and you'd get a good feel for the book with a better understanding of whether or not you want that kind of book.

Joe
www.concordspark.com
@Joe
Are there any C++ books recommended for C++ experienced programmers?
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.