Smart Systems - Possible or Not?

Dear Community,

As a new user, I am happy to be able to ask for your assistance! Your thoughts and experience(s) are invaluable in helping programmers like me to become better at the practice that runs a great deal of the modern world. I'll cut to the chase...

What I am asking about is not an A.I. per say, but a smart system that can access/control other systems and data for analysis and response to queries.

Would it be possible to develop a system with the following properties:
- Has a dynamic database, managed in SQL and CGI C/C++
- Has access to the internet, for search/indexing of data at any time
- Utilizes a Natural Language Processing API to parse and extract intents
- Utilizes a Visual Processing API that can identify and organize camera input
- Utilizes a Machine Learning API to organize and prioritize data and tasks
- Utilizes specialized hardware (CPU cards, co-processors, etc.) for enhanced multitasking**
- Can be designed to control and/or act as its own Operating System
- Can hold *simple conversations while doing other background tasks
- Is self-modifying and primarily state-based, in opposed to being event-based**

* By simple, I mean sticking to textbook-style responses - based off of available data and past interaction only.
** Optional - not required, and can be omitted in your analysis if you so choose

Please note that a lot of this is up for speculation, in that it may still be under development. I just want your honest opinions on the matter for a system with those properties. If it seems fantastical, say so. If you think it's possible, say so. Just be sure to tell why :)
Last edited on
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.