Quantum computers

closed account (N8RzwA7f)
Hi,

Am I right to worry about the future ?
As far as I understand quantum computers and classic computers are not at all compatible (bit vs qbits etc). So if these quantum computers become mainstream , are classic computer programmers out of work?

Do you think that C++ cannot adapt and will possibly collapse?

C++ is a low-level language, but we at the very least don't have to worry about assembly. So just a piece of C++ code will work from century to century without a problem.
I don't know anything about quantum computing, but I do know about C++ -- which was designed for a classical computer. I doubt that it even makes sense to run a classical program on a quantum machine.

On the other hand, we'll have ample warning before (and if) quantum computing becomes mainstream. IIRC, scientists were able to use quantum phenomena to factorize the number 15 in extraordinarily controlled conditions using Peter Shor's algorithm, which isn't even strictly deterministic (it factors correctly "with high probability".)

AFAIK, quantum computing isn't a silver-bullet. It's supposed to be able to solve certain problems faster than a classical computer could possibly, but that it doesn't obsolete classical computation.

If you're going to worry about the future, pick something other than quantum-computing.
Unless some government manages to break RSA encryption and does terrible things.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.