Help with structure c code

I'm a beginner and I need help with a C code to define a structure. I understand some of the basic concepts but I just have trouble conceptualizing and putting the code together.

Write C Code to define a structure for employee. Each employee will have an employee number, first name, last name, hourly rate and number of hours worked.

#include <stdio.h>
struct Employee
{
int employeenumber[50];
string firstname;
string lastname;
float hourlyrate;
int hourswork;

} e;

int main()
{
printf("Enter information:\n");

printf("Enter employeenumber: ");
scanf("%d", e.employeenumber);

printf("Enter firstname: ");
scanf("%d", &e.firstname);

printf("Enter lastname: ");
scanf("%f", &e.lastname);

printf("Enter hourly rate: ");
scanf("%f", &e.hourlyrate);

printf("Enter hourswork: ");
scanf("%d", &e.hourswork);

printf("Displaying Information:\n");

printf("e: ");
puts(e.employeenumber);

printf("First Name: \n",e.firstame);

printf("Last Name: \n", e.lastname);

printf("hourly rate: %.1f", e.hourlyrate);

printf("hours work: ", e.hourswork);

return 0;
}
I got these error when I run it:

||=== Build: Debug in Question9 (compiler: GNU GCC Compiler) ===|
C:\Users\shanike mc killup\Desktop\Important Documents\Dev-C++ Programs\Question9\main.cpp|5|error: 'string' does not name a type|
C:\Users\shanike mc killup\Desktop\Important Documents\Dev-C++ Programs\Question9\main.cpp|6|error: 'string' does not name a type|
C:\Users\shanike mc killup\Desktop\Important Documents\Dev-C++ Programs\Question9\main.cpp||In function 'int main()':|
C:\Users\shanike mc killup\Desktop\Important Documents\Dev-C++ Programs\Question9\main.cpp|20|error: 'struct Employee' has no member named 'firstname'|
C:\Users\shanike mc killup\Desktop\Important Documents\Dev-C++ Programs\Question9\main.cpp|23|error: 'struct Employee' has no member named 'lastname'|
C:\Users\shanike mc killup\Desktop\Important Documents\Dev-C++ Programs\Question9\main.cpp|35|error: cannot convert 'int*' to 'const char*' for argument '1' to 'int puts(const char*)'|
C:\Users\shanike mc killup\Desktop\Important Documents\Dev-C++ Programs\Question9\main.cpp|37|error: 'struct Employee' has no member named 'firstame'|
C:\Users\shanike mc killup\Desktop\Important Documents\Dev-C++ Programs\Question9\main.cpp|39|error: 'struct Employee' has no member named 'lastname'|
C:\Users\shanike mc killup\Desktop\Important Documents\Dev-C++ Programs\Question9\main.cpp|43|warning: too many arguments for format [-Wformat-extra-args]|
||=== Build failed: 7 error(s), 1 warning(s) (0 minute(s), 0 second(s)) ===|
Are you using c or c++? In c strings are most often represented as character arrays. In c++ you need to add #include <string> and access it through the std:: namespace (std::string firstname).
Why is employeenumber an array?
In C you can do it like this:
#define NAME_LEN  20

struct Employee
{
int employeenumber;
char firstname[NAME_LEN];
char lastname[NAME_LEN];
float hourlyrate;
int hourswork;
} e

Why do you try to read firstname and lastname as a number ?
printf("Enter firstname: ");
scanf("%d", &e.firstname);

printf("Enter lastname: ");
scanf("%f", &e.lastname);

Maybe have a look at your textbook or some reference about scanf format flags
Last edited on
Also, you can't use printf or scanf with C++ strings.

PLEASE ALWAYS USE CODE TAGS (the <> formatting button) when posting code.
It makes it easier to read your code and also easier to respond to your post.
http://www.cplusplus.com/articles/jEywvCM9/
Hint: You can edit your post, highlight your code and press the <> formatting button.
he is using c. Its gcc not g++ and the assignment text says 'in C'.

I believe one of the problems is confusion that %s is needed for the 'strings'; %d and %f will both make a mess.

also, string is not a thing. use char[maxlength]; where maxlength is appropriate to your problem, probably a #define constant at the top of the program.

finally, my C is a bit rusty (thought I tend to write Cish c++ at times) ... in C specifically you MAY need to typdef structs to make them a type, otherwise you just get 1 instance of the thing or whatever you tagged onto the last brace when it is defined (?)
Last edited on
Registered users can post here. Sign in or register to post.