How do I use string_view where a C-string is expected?

I've written a function foo() whose purpose is to call something that requires a C-string:

void foo(std::string_view x)
{ 
  std::puts(x.data()); // expects null-terminated string
}

However, std::string_view does not always look at a null-terminated string, leaving plenty of room for errors.
This code demonstrates one potential problem:
auto my_sv = "Hello, World!\n"sv;
my_sv.remove_suffix(9); 

std::cout << my_sv << "\n"; // prints "Hello"
foo(my_sv); // prints "Hello, World!" 

See:
http://coliru.stacked-crooked.com/a/0875515cfa6b9631

While simply promoting the std::string_view to a std::string would prevent the problem, it eliminates most of the benefits of string_view in the first place, which I'd like to avoid.

What's the best way to write foo()?

A few possible approaches come to mind.
- I could write foo(const char*) and foo(std::string const&) and give up on string_view.
- Or I could write a new component (c_string_view?) that guarantees the string is zero-terminated, or use one that already exists.
- Or I could just require the string_view be null-terminated as a precondition.

Thanks!
Last edited on
I vote for the first option, foo(const char*) and foo(std::string const&). If the function expects a null-terminated string it shouldn't use std::string_view in my opinion because that is not what it is.
Last edited on
The more I think about it the more I like the idea of having a c_string_view type. The only problem is that it's not part of the standard library so one either have to find a third-party implementation or write our own implementation.

I guess c_string_view would have the same interface as std::string_view except that it lacks any function that could give rise to a string that it not null-terminated (e.g. size_t constructor, remove_prefix, remove_suffix), and with the addition of a c_str() function. I'm not sure what the substr function would return. A std::string_view?

One might even want to make c_string_view implicitly convertible to std::string_view. The conversion should be trivial and perfectly safe.
> The more I think about it the more I like the idea of having a c_string_view type.
> The only problem is that it's not part of the standard library
> so one either have to find a third-party implementation or write our own implementation.

Writing a small wrapper would just be a few lines of code. For example:

#include <iostream>
#include <string>
#include <string_view>
#include <cstdio>
#include <vector>

struct c_string_view_wrapper
{
    // note: the life-time of the underlying sequence of characters must not end
    //       before than the last use of the c_string_view_wrapper / the wrapped string_view

c_string_view_wrapper( const std::string& str ) : view(str), null_terminated(true) {}

constexpr c_string_view_wrapper( const char* cstr ) : view( cstr ? cstr : ""  ), null_terminated(true) {}

constexpr c_string_view_wrapper( const char* cstr, std::size_t sz ) : view( cstr, sz ), null_terminated( cstr[sz-1] == 0 )
    { if(null_terminated) view.remove_suffix(1) ; }

constexpr c_string_view_wrapper( std::string_view view ) : view(view), null_terminated( view.back() == 0 )
    { if(null_terminated) view.remove_suffix(1) ; }

constexpr operator std::string_view() const { return view ; }

const char* c_str() const // not thread safe; in addition,
                              // the usual caveats for std::string::c_str() apply
    {
        if(null_terminated) return view.data() ;

static std::string str ;
        str.assign( view.begin(), view.end() ) ;
        return str.c_str() ;
    }

std::string_view view ;
    bool null_terminated ;
};

std::size_t foo( c_string_view_wrapper view_wrapper )
{
    std::string_view view = view_wrapper ;
    const char* cstr = view_wrapper.c_str() ;

// ...

std::cout << "null terminated view? " << std::boolalpha
              << view_wrapper.null_terminated << " (size:" << view.size() << ") => " ;
    std::puts(cstr) ;
    return view.size() ;
}

int main()
{

foo( "hello world!" ) ;

foo( { "hello world!", 5 } ) ;
    foo( { "hello world!"+6, 6 } ) ;
    foo( { "hello world!"+6, 7 } ) ;

const std::string str = "hello world!" ;
    foo(str) ;

std::vector<char> vec { str.begin(), str.end() } ;
    foo( std::string_view( std::addressof( vec.front() ), vec.size() ) ) ;

vec.push_back(0) ;
    foo( std::string_view( std::addressof( vec.front() ), vec.size() ) ) ;
}

http://coliru.stacked-crooked.com/a/daacb6dd16468731
I've taken the suggestion and written a c_string_view class, but I've tried to create something more of a vocabulary type than something with a strict invariant. I don't like it, but I wanted to give an update anyways. It's 400 lines of boilerplate code, so I'll just link it and summarize the differences between it and string_view:
  - remove_suffix() removed
  - remove_prefix() still there
  - char const*, size_t constructor still there (not sure about that)
  - c_string_view::substr() returns std::string_view
  - c_string_view is implicitly convertible to std::string_view
  - std::string_view is explicitly convertible to c_string_view
  - c_string_view::c_str() is a synonym for data().

The code is here. Consider it a rough draft:
http://coliru.stacked-crooked.com/a/f33bcd9324fc7a60

@JLBorges: IINM, c_string_view_wrapper::c_str() has a problem because the underlying sequence could have changed after setting null_terminated but before the call. I think you can't cache null_terminated in general.
Last edited on
That entire code is based on the assumption that the underlying sequence does not change during the period of use of the wrapper (not thread-safe, the wrapper is a temporary object passed by value to a function which uses it, and then discards it).

In general, cacheing does not work with string views into mutable sequences.
std::string str = "abcdefghijkl" ;
std::string_view view(str) ;
str += "mnopqrst" ;
// using the string view here is undefined behaviour 
Just wanted to post an update:

I've been using something like the c_string_view above for a few weeks now, but I am not convinced that it will save the time it has absorbed.

There is an issue interfacing with std::string, since the standard library has this inverted dependency: std::string has a conversion to std::string_view, in order to prevent <string_view> from depending on <string>. This allows std::string to compare with string_view.

Ideally, std::string would compare with c_string_view too, but that would force me to include <string> in the header file, which is harmful for compile speed. It is unfortunate to require so much of the standard library in translation units which only care about some C interface, and the slower compilation wastes my time.

Additionally, given the use-case, it may be preferable to drop the size member and store only a pointer instead of a pointer-length pair, but I'm not sure and this isn't a big deal anyway.

I'm considering switching back to plain-old string_view.
Last edited on
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.