C++ input and strings

Hello everyone I am working on a project for my CS class and I am stuck on part of it. I am new to C++ so it's been hard at times.

I have a line of data in a file:

63f7hj-9 22spaces L Is this correct 22spaces L Is this correct

-In the phrase "63f7hj-9" I have to save the 63 as in integer and discard everything else up to and including the 9
-I need to save the phrase "22spaces" as a string
-I need to save the L as a character
-And lastly I need to save the phrase "Is this correct" as another string

I hope someone is able to help and thank you for your time

Is it the exact same line of data every time? As in, always
or could the values be different? If it could change, WHAT in it could change and what will always be the same?
I only have one line of data in the file. The project is to take an ascii number and convert that to a character and use that character to fill in how ever many spacers the data file says.

Heres an example:

The 63 in the beginning is the ascii number for ?. I have to fit the entire output in 22 spaces. And the phrase "Is this correct" is at the end.

My output would look like:

???????Is this correct

I have to figure out how to only get the 63 from the phrase "63f7hj-9"

I ask because if the line is always the same, you don't need to read the numbers. You already know the value is 63.
int x = 63; Done.

If the line can be different each time, then you need to identify the acceptable format. Will the line's first two characters always, ALWAYS be two digits representing a single ASCII character?

The purpose of assignments like this are to verify/enforce understanding of formatted input operations.

That's the kind of thing g that looks like this:

cin >> my_int >> my_string;

Except, instead of cin you will be using an ifstream object.

The trip K is to play around with it until it makes sense. Good luck!
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.