whats the difference between &array and &array[0]?

Hi guys

I should know this and probably did at one stage but just wondering what is the difference between &array and &array[0], so the first one is the address of the start of the array which I thought would be the same as &array[0] ie same index and in this case hence same memory address

but when I use

in.read((char*)(&number),numberSize);

the program seems to crash

and when I use

in.read((char*)(&number[0]),numberSize);

the function exits gracefully,also when I print both of them the former prints the address and the latter prints the name?

thanks

void writeToVector(){

ifstream in;
   in.open("phoneBk.txt",ios::binary | ios::in);

int sizeOfFile = 0;
   in.seekg(0,ios::end);
   sizeOfFile = in.tellg();

in.seekg(0,ios::beg);

while(in.tellg() < sizeOfFile){

// name
       string name;
       string::size_type nameSize;

in.read((char*)(&nameSize),sizeof(nameSize));
       name.resize(nameSize);

in.read((char*)(&name[0]),nameSize);

cout << "name :: " << &name << endl;
       cout << "name :: " << &name[0] << endl;

// number
       string number;
       string::size_type numberSize;

in.read((char*)(&numberSize),sizeof(numberSize));

number.resize(numberSize);

Person p(name,number);

people.push_back(p);

}

cout << "finished" << endl;
}
&array is the same as &(&(array[0]))
array is the same as &(array[0])
'number' isn't an array, it's an std::string! The memory layout of an std::string looks roughly like this:
class string{
    char *internal_array;
    size_t length;
//...
};
When you do

You're writing directly to the memory of the object. Thus internal_array will almost certainly end up pointing to garbage and length will almost certainly end up as nonsense.
When you do

First you're calling std::string's operator[]() overload, which in this case will return a reference to the first char of the string. Then you get the address of that char. Since std::string guarantees representing the string as a flat array, &number[0] gets you the pointer to the internal array (as long as size() != 0. If size() == 0 the behavior is undefined).

If 'number' was actually an array you'd be right, (char *)&array and (char *)&array[0] would be equivalent.

EDIT:
&array is the same as &(&(array[0]))
&&x is not a valid expression (unless x overloads operator&()).
Last edited on
thanks guys that makes sense

When you do

You're writing directly to the memory of the object. Thus internal_array will almost certainly end up pointing to garbage and length will almost certainly end up as nonsense.
When you do

First you're calling std::string's operator[]() overload, which in this case will return a reference to the first char of the string. Then you get the address of that char. Since std::string guarantees representing the string as a flat array, &number[0] gets you the pointer to the internal array (as long as size() != 0. If size() == 0 the behavior is undefined).

Oh ok that does make sense so with the former we are writing the data to the actual string object itself

and with the latter using the strings overloaded [] operator we are actually writing the data to the actual string part or the memory that actually holds the strings character data

thanks
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.