CRTP "interface" for delete operator?

Pages: 12
@dhayden

and yet, you think you can write a better general purpose memory manager than what comes with the compiler.
Probably not yet (and I never said as much). But that is the goal. I have done quite a bit of research on the topic and already have ways of saving space and time.

So if you allocate a 32-bit int, it will waste 4 bytes.
Yes it will. But how often does one allocate a single integer off the heap? From what I have read and understand, space is often wasted for the sake of alignment. Some things can't be helped.

The questions and relevant suggestions you post are already under consideration. Unlike you though, I am familiar with the end goals and needs of my application (ultimately a platform). Based on the research that I have done, a memory manager is often employed in similar applications and will probably be necessary in many (if not all) of the use cases. Everyone has to start somewhere and I am choosing to think ahead and plan for the "worst case" scenario.

EDIT: (continuing from last paragraph). Right now I am designing the object management part of the application. I need to consider all possibilities. That way I can plan and design for future needs now instead of rewriting from the ground up later (which is something I have already done).
Last edited on
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.
Pages: 12