C++ VS Visual Basic?

I have heard pretty much everyone who knows about programming say that c++ is better than VB, from what i can see, vb does the same stuff C++ does, but with more readability, also, c++ doesnt seem to have any easy way to create buttons and professional looking user interfaces the way VB does. Is there any great speed difference between the two? and what are some other pros/cons of each?

And one off topic.

I am a DJ for an internet radio and I am currently using a Blue Yeti microphone. The sound quality is amazing, but as I am using the microphone stand it comes with and placing it on my desk, it is picking up the vibrations through the computer desk which is being picked up on the microphone. As such, there is a constant hum in the background of my vocals. As soon as I pick the microphone up off the desk, the background noise completely disappears.

I’m looking for some recommendations https://whatever-tech.com/best-mic-stand-for-blue-yeti/ as to what stand I could purchase, or other methods, to lift my microphone off my desk. I’m looking for something that I can easily remove and put back as it’s a shared computer and I can’t have a microphone in the way. I also have a pop filter which will need to attach to the stand. The more compact the better!

Suggestions are much appreciated!
Last edited on
yes, c++ is between 3 and 10 times faster than VB for tight inner loop crunching jobs.
c++ supports concepts for large (millions of lines of code) projects. VB is more suitable for small projects.

VB is a little easier for making GUI, yes. this is because VB Is a microsoft product designed to produce window's GUI programs easily. C++ is not tied to an OS, so if you want to put a GUI on it you have to use the library for the OS and platform you are using. Visual C++ compiler lets you make GUI very easily (If you know c++!!!) with both direct coding and a drag and drop editor. QT offers a portable GUI library that works on most platforms but is not WYSIWYG (or was not last time I used it).

C++ supports pretty much anything a computer can do, from low level hardware access and direct control of bits and bytes or pointers and even embedded assembly commands. It supports up to the highest, most abstract forms of coding as well, with object oriented programming, operator overloading (missing in MANY languages like java), virtual methods, inheritance, threading, and much more, as well as in-between the two extremes to the level needed.

Basic lacks a great many features of both the lowest level of coding and the highest. It is a middle of the road language good for doing things quickly and easily, but it is terribly slow and is missing tons of things that are critical for large projects. It is also very popular in tools that have support for it to let the user define some functionality: the M$ office suite allows you to make VB plugins in places, as do many other programs.

you may be wanting to compare managed c++ and vb, or visual c++ and vb.

also, do not rely on what you 'heard'. Better is subjective. Maybe the right word is 'powerful'. C++ is much more powerful. If you don't need the features it has or its speed or the tool you are working with has vb plugins but not c++, then C++ isn't going to be 'better', vb will be 'better'. The choice of what tool to use needs to fit the situation. Yes, you can drive a nail in with a pipe wrench, but a hammer is the tool for the job.

finally, 'easy' is an important thing to talk about, but 100% of the time, if you pick something that is 'easy' you are giving something up. Power. Control. Features. Performance. Something is being done for you, and when that happens, it may not be done exactly like you needed, its just 'close enough'. Rapid development and easy to use tools are great, but at times, you need to dig in, embrace the complexity, and develop something that delivers on all fronts. Other times, you just need to get it done NOW.
Last edited on
VB was not designed for the same purposes as C++

Modern VB is a mature, very usable language which can accomplish quite a lot. I would go so far as saying it's only real limitation is that it was designed to leverage Win/COM/ActiveX, and so is not easily portable to other OSes -- however, that is also one of its strengths: it has an easy plug-and-play component architecture, making Wi does GUI application programming a breeze.

It is also suitable (and used for in the wild) large projects.

Likewise, Windows directly supports VB scripting, making it very easy to add extensive scripting capabilities to your application, especially one written in VB.

MS has supplanted VB with C# and .NET for its primary development$, but it can still hold it's own in a .NET environment and is still in active use by developers.

tl;dr
The people you have talked to are biased. They prefer C++ (as do I), but there is no technical deficiency in VB to inform it.
Last edited on
I agree, the fact that VB scripts work right out of the box is a plus. You'll see VB scripts for some Active Directory server examples, along with scripts that interact with programs like Excel ("Excel VBA"). It's more like PowerShell than C++. More niche, but has its bonuses of avoiding typical boilerplate.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.