How to design custom characters for the console?

Hello!

Just wondering, I want to make a text-based game in the console and I want my characters to be interesting, I know about Unicode, but it doesn't have all the characters I want to use. Let's say I'm trying to make a player character (a little person). Is it possible to design your own characters for the console?
in windows I believe any fixed width font can be used on cmd, so you can make your own entire font. You would also want to get, set, and unset the font if you put this on someone else's computer or alternately provide a shortcut that launches cmd with the right settings for the game. If its just playing around for practice, you can do whatever.
Last edited on
Hmmm... seems good but I want to have normal text for dialogs and stuff, I plan on using Unicode too in the game, so I might have to switch the fonts whenever I want to have normal text/Unicode (or not?).

P.S I do want to make the game public so I think I'll have to include the font file in my game file.
I suspect you can draw any symbol in any location in a unicode font.
You can also use the back half of ascii in 8-bit, those are not normal text symbols.
Unicode has 'normal' english ascii encoded in it. Just use it for everything.
you not only have to include the font file, you have to register it (on windows) or 'install it' or whatever they call it these days, and you have to activate it to be the one used by the console window. None of which are terribly hard, but be sure to test on a system other than your development system so you know you got all that set up right.

windows has a font tool. If you decide to make and draw your own font, I think you can pick the symbols you want and press 'copy' or get the unicode hex value or something to put into the code for your prints in the game.
Last edited on
I'm really sorry about the delay, I was really busy, thanks for the reply.

Ok, so I'll use Unicode for the UI and I'll make my own custom font for that and install it on the player's computer too, I have a limited amount of characters to edit so I guess I'll have to be smart with the animation choices. I think that once you installed and registered your font you can just apply it with a CONSOLE_FONT_INFOEX object, I'll need to look more into that.

Anyway, thanks again for your help!
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.