When do you use enumerated type?

I am curious, when do you ever use this data type?
I need some examples because I don't know when should I be "encourage" to use it.

I know how to write it but does not know the purpose and usage.

Thank you.
I rarely, if ever, use enums. I might use them once the new standard is ratified and we have strongly typed enums. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C%2B%2B0x#Strongly_typed_enumerations

Other than that, they're handy as a type that defines a limited set of integers.
You can use them as a nice way to define some in class constants:

class something {
public:
    enum ret_val {
        SUCCESS = 0,
        FAILURE = 1
    };
    //...
};

int main() {
    something::ret_val = something::FAILURE;
    //...
}
Hello firedraco,

Can such constants be defined in a struct?
Can such constants be defined in a struct?

In C++, a struct is the same as a class, the only difference being that a struct's members are public by default.
I use them when making games to hold the 'state' of the player/enemy/bullets/whatever.

enum state_t
{
     resting,
     walking,
     jumping,
     etc.....
};

Then when the entity is being drawn, the number from the entity's state can represent which row in the texture to loop through for animation, so if it is resting the 1st row of frames are used, if it is walking the 2nd are used and so on.

I have little experience in anything other than games I'm afraid but that's how I use them.
Enumerations are mainly used for states (like in the example given above). They are special in the way that they have a "built-in check", since only defined values are accepted. You should normally not have to use them, but whenever you should, do it.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.