Steam Proton (Linux) and Reverse Engineering Question (General + Noobish)

I'm trying to run a old Windows game and its companion tool (user-created) under Linux. Since the game can already run on Steam Proton (Linux), I'd like to know what, if anything, must be done to adapt the companion tool for Linux use.

Could I simply recompile the source code of the tool with some option for Linux ticked? Or perhaps I only need to run the companion tool through Steam Proton?

In the more likely event that one must rewrite the tool for Linux, I have the following concerns:

(1) The tool was written for Windows in C++ using information obtained from reverse-engineering the game under Windows. Will these information remain valid under Linux? Or must one do the reverse engineering again, this time all under Linux?

For example, from the source of the tool, I see that it uses byte sequences/patterns to find pointers of game addresses. Will these sequences/patterns/pointers remain unchanged after the game is put through Steam Proton?

(2) The tool uses directx to draw widgets inside the game, will these be difficult to adapt for use under Linux?

Thanks very much.

------------------------------------------
Other info: The tool enhances gameplay by adding heads-up displays, chat functions, and the ability to target/select objects that wouldn't otherwise be targetable.
Last edited on
you can just try it but it may not work at all, depending on what it does.
try running it in a virtual machine, or set up 'docker' on your PC version and bundle it up that way maybe.
if the linux version is a heavily modified port, the tool is unlikely to port. If its a light port, with little more than the graphics changed, it may.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.