learning C++

I am interested to learn C++ Programing.
Thats why I asked some of my friend they suggest me to Read The book
Teach yourself C++ By Herbert Schildt.and this is the best.

I tried with Google to free download this book in pdf format.
But I am disappointed.

Any one know any link to download this book.

please help !

all the best of u
i think this is the best wesite where u can find everything about C (www.cplusplus.com) or
search of Teach ur self by Deitel and Deitel
Thanks for quick response

But still I want this book

any help!
There isn't. Go buy the book.
<<C++ primer 4th>> is out of question the bible in the c++!

Like Duoas said, you'll have to buy one or you can go to the library. My library doesn't have a very expansive amount of books on programming languages but there a still quite a few. You could try this along with the tutorial on this site as well.

http://newdata.box.sk/bx/c/

I really like C++ Black Book by Steven Holzner as well.

And the book your friends suggested isn't the ONLY good book out there, so don't afraid to look other places. The basics are pretty much the same no matter what book or online tutorial you look at.
Last edited on
I would have to agree. I've never taken any courses, nor bought any books on c++ or any of the programming languages I know. Everything I know is from online tutorials.

The documentation on this site is very thourough, and you can combine it with a couple other sites such as what Mikeb posted, as well as i find the one at http://www.relisoft.com/cpp.html to be good.
Do you work as a professional developer Aakanaar?
nope.. I should as I have enough knowledge to, but thus far it is only a hobby.

My biggest fault is that while i've read plenty of tutorials and should have all the language down pat, i havn't got a lot of hands on experience.. It's one of the reasons I've undertaken that program i've recently been posting for help on. It's something I need, but it is also someting to give me some hands on experience.

I had just read a post you made in the jobs forum where you suggest trying to get on some of the projects on sourceforge, and I hadn't thought of this before. It would give me access to see someone else's code and try to figgure out what they're doing as well as an excuse to try my hand at it. I may take up that suggestion.
Last edited on
I'd recommend picking up a book or 2 on Object Orientated development and Agile software development.

Learning the language is great, you can code. But you definitely need to know about software design and development methodologies too. Learning these will greatly aid your software development abilities.

FWIW, we wouldn't hire a developer who hasn't got a BA Degree in CompSCI (or equal) and doesn't have a firm grasp of development methodologies. You can teach a language in a few weeks, but it takes a long time to become good at software design.

Thats my 2c.
Zaita, can you suggest a good one on OOD? Going for BA in CS but I need some summer reading.
yea.. that's usually what I see on most job forums. I have often found a job opening that describes requirements for skills in php, mysql, and of course normal xhtml. These are skills I have in abundance. I could teach classes in these area's. However, then I see the next line, requiring an AA or BA.

Same kinda goes for this, c++ etc. I am learning quite a bit, and while I balk when I even glance at win32 code, I keep seeing that required BA.. I'm 38 years old. I have got my Comptia A+ certificate, but I don't think I could manage going to college.

Even if I master the c++ language and learn the different methodologies (which i'll be looking up some books on these. Thanks.) i'll probably never progress past being a hobbist, due to lack of degrees.

But, that's ok. I do have a great idea for a game, something that I think would sell very well. Something untried. Something I'm afraid I can't share here. But I have realized that I won't be able to do it myself, it's way out of my league. (It would take a very large investment and a large team to put together) So instead I am trying to find a way to document the idea and sell it to Sony or Microsoft or some big company that can help make it a reality. So as far as programming is concerned, I'll continue to push the envelope and learn, but i'm not worried about becomming proffesional. I'll just do whatever I can.
The key skill that is missing from a lot of supposed professional developers, and that in part differentiates the 'true' professional is the willingness and ability to do all the bits that aren't codeing.
This includes;
Requirements Analysis (and being able to coax the true requirements from customers who may well not realise what they really want)
Design (cover everything, make it flexible to cope with the inevitable requirements changes but specific enough to avoid unneccisary complexity)
Documentation (for users as well as future developers)
Testing (document test plans, unity test frameworks, etc)
and last, but by no means least,
The ability to review and have your code reviewed in a friendly and constructive way, share ideas, accept help and advice, etc. No one is an expert in ALL areas - use the experience of your colleagues (and forums like this one if you don't have a 'local' expert) to improve your designs and code.
Last edited on
I have spent quite a bit of time in the past looking through CV's of prospective employees. I'll tell you now, if it was a choice between paper qualifications and experience, I would take experience over qualifications any time. I would expect most engineering managers who are any good would feel the same. Unfortunately with larger firms, mindless HR drones tend to filter out the CVs before it gets to someone who knows what they're looking for so if you haven't got the paper qualifications, the drones exclude you. My advice would be to go for smaller firms with smaller HR staff and you'll stand a much better chance of getting in on experience alone.

Last edited on
@mikeb570: Sorry, I don't know of any books. But most college text books would be a good start.

@Aakanaar: You don't NEED a degree, but it certainly helps. But there if you submitted a CV with work that illustrated your grasp of development, design, testing etc then chances are you would be considered. (see my response to bnbertha)

@bnbertha: Experience vs Paper Qualifications. This used to be quite a common arguement that someone with experience was going to be as-good, if not better than someone with paper. And while in most industries I would tend to agree with you I find SW to be different.

In the past 5yrs we have seen huge explosions in new technologies, design/development/project methodologies, viable operating systems and tools. These are being taught @ Universities and alot of companies don't want to have to train people in these technologies. So you will find having a piece of paper saying "I learnt .NET 3" is going to be quite important.

Personally, I think it's crap though. The industry is fueled by buzzwords (.NET, Multi-Platform, Web 2.0 (wtf?!)). It's these buzzwords the educational institutes use to recruit employees, and companies use to make themselves appear to be better than the next guy. Very few companies actually really care about the technology they use.

I even went to an interview for embedded development and they told me they were moving to .NET from C++. I asked why (obviously). And they said "our customers perceived the product to be better if it's developed in new technology like .NET". Their customer was a US Military organization.

go to

www.itstudy8.org u will find any book i think so
there is also
http://freecomputerbooks.com/
good resource for all kinds of free computer books
Thank you for the websites. Awesome, very awesome. Thanks again.
for list of programming assignment and tutorial.. im using this one http://mogol.7forum.net
you can find some basic and very useful program...
Last edited on
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.