image loader

I need to load an image from a file into an array. I would perfer a small snippet of code, but an image loading library would work too.
I know that Allegro can load bitmaps, but I don't think you would need somthing that large just to use one or two functions.
A few questions:

a) Which image format?
b) Do you need some conversion of the image data?

All I want is to take an image of any format (Not just one format, I will be reading many images of diferent fomats and I don't want to have to convert each one to any one format) and convert it to a 2 dimentional array of pixels.
You need a library, or libraries.
You must also choose a specific subset of image types you plan to support, because each one is different. (You cannot just load any image.)
Good luck!
I suppose DevIL might do a good job for you. Check out http://openil.sourceforge.net/.

You can retrieve a raw pointer to your currently loaded image. The only caveat: As far as I know there isn't an explicit copying facility. In practice this isn't a problem since everything you need to iterate over the memory pointed to can be queried as well, i.e. width and height if the image. If you need some code samples I can show you how I do it within my OBJ loading library.

Thomas
You could also try making your own loader, but almost every file type other than BMP requires that you know fairly complicated algorithms.
Besides, maybe you should learn something about how images are stored. Just saying, because normally you wouldn't say something as outrageous as
ll I want is to take an image of any format
@thokra
Could you show me the code to load an image and get it into an array? Thanks.
I have been looking on the internet and I can use the image as a texture, but I need to read it as an array to process the data.
Here's what my MTL loader does when processing the specific line.

ILuint img = ilGenImage();
ilBindImage(img);

if(!ilLoadImage(file_name.c_str()))
{
    std::cout << "[MTLLoader] ERROR: Could not load image " << file_name
                 << "! " << ilGetString(ilGetError()) << std::endl;
}

if(!ilConvertImage(IL_RGB, IL_UNSIGNED_BYTE))
{
    std::cout << "[MTLLoader] ERROR: Could not convert image " << file_name
                 << "! " << ilGetString(ilGetError()) << std::endl;
    return;
}

int image_width = ilGetInteger(IL_IMAGE_WIDTH);
int image_height = ilGetInteger(IL_IMAGE_HEIGHT);
int image_size = ilGetInteger(IL_IMAGE_BYTES_PER_PIXEL) * image_width *
                        image_height;

unsigned char *image_data = ilGetData();

Texture *tex = new Texture;

for(int i = 0; i < image_size; ++i)
    tex->data.push_back(image_data[i]);

tex->width = image_width;
tex->height = image_height;

materials_[current_mat_].setTexture(tex);

ilDeleteImage(img);

As you can see, DevIL is intentionally built like OpenGL. First you let the IL generate a handle for your image to load. Then you bind to that image and load it subsequently. In my code I convert the data to an array of IL_UNSIGNED_BYTE, effectively leaving you with 8 bits per channel. If you need an alpha channel you can also try the IL_RGBA costant instead of IL_RGB. Then I duplicate the whole array and put it in a simple struct Texture. You don't need to do that. You could as well say:

unsigned char* my_img_data = my_class.getPtrToData():

for(int i = 0; i < image_size; ++i)
    my_img_data[i] = image_data[i];

Don't forget to release all allocated memory by calling glDeleteImage() on your image handle! And that's it. HTH!

BTW, may I ask what you're trying to do with the data? Reading the word "texture" made me curious... ;)

Thomas
Thank you all for your help and time!
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.