Another misc question.

What code is needed to force the console to change font type? I'm planning to use one of the 3 standard fonts on windows vista and windows 7.

Its something in handle console just not sure how to do it. Thanks
Last edited on
What you're asking is akin to asking how to change a user's display theme. It's something you probably shouldn't be doing. The user configures this stuff to be how they want it to be. Your program messing with it will just irritate them.

Why would you want to do this?
Last edited on
I want my game displayed in a certain font in the console, i don't want to change the master settings for thier pc. Just my program only.
Last edited on
SetConsoleFontEx()
closed account (zb0S216C)
Snaef98, console games are boring. Consider a graphical game, instead of a game that has the same interface as a Fallout 3 terminal.

Graphical games = hours of enjoyment.
Console games = 3 - 5 minutes of enjoyment.

Wazzak
Well for one don't know much about visual programming, second im not an artist.... and third why does everyone on here try to get people to change what they are trying to do, this isn't your project is it? just my 2 cents.
My opinion:
Actual game programming will smack you up the side of the head when you encounter it. You don't have to be an artist, and you don't have to know a lot about Windows/graphics programming. Game development skills are built up overtime as you create games over, and over again. Nobody's perfect when they first start something new. Just give it a try.

Console programs, to me, aren't games at all. Personally, a console program that tries to be a game, isn't a game until it has graphics, and at least some form of AI.

Snaef98 wrote:
why does everyone on here try to get people to change what they are trying to do

Because no self-respecting game development company will even touch a console program. In fact, they'll probably laugh at the thought of using a console. If you wan't a game development career, using consoles isn't the way to go. As I said before, game developers don't use consoles, so making games in console windows, isn't going to get you very far. Console programs probably won't make it into your CV.

Face the facts, console-based games are not what game development companies want; they want 2D/3D action packed, graphical games; not a game where they have to read their character.

Sorry to be a harsh, but the truth hurts sometimes.

Wazzak
Last edited on
I never said i was doing this for a career. Its just a hobby. I am going for a retro mud style game in a single player platform and for that, the console works pretty good.

I've accually got a system that works really well. I'm just tweaking the interface... yeah i use refresh. full screen, i want to change fonts.. i use music and colors and stuff. Its not really that hard... i got a template for my game areas and each area has its own function combat system inventory etc all kinds of stuff xD.
Last edited on
Let go of the keyboard, and move away from the console. No, seriously, if you're doing it as a hobby, then you can do whatever you want. All I was trying to do was keep you from running into a brick wall. Regardless, I was only looking out for you :)

Wazzak
I have no big plans for any kind of careers but some day hobby wise maybe i will do graphics based stuff if i accually had someone to handle the art part of it. I play games alot more then i program them lol

Oh yeah and ive tried SFML the best i could was to get a window open and some music looping and wasn't even able to print strings... but then again SFML 1.6 isn't compatible with my ATI graphics cards with the visual studio im using they said wait till 2.0
Last edited on
Hey, I've written plenty of console-based games that work just fine.

There is a difference between recommending something and telling someone that you know his requirements better than he does. The OP is making a console game. He has already rebuffed all recommendations against it with a perfectly valid argument. More than this is a waste of everyone's time and bandwidth.
You know you just gave me an idea... i wanted to put static images into the console.... and it might just work if i put the graphics at the top, text at the bottom and cls to clear screen for the next one... i never really thought about it xD

Just added a dungeon map display of the layout using - | and + xD image files could be useful for example shield or sword for shops maybe door picture for doors etc... just to add alittle to the game.

Being creative and seeing how you can make this work with the console is part of the fun.
Last edited on
Here is an example of a template i just designed for dungeon map layouts... its unedited yet as the dungeons have not been designed yet.

http://imageshack.us/f/151/dungeonmap.jpg

From here i can remove a couple of the -- or |'s to represent connecting rooms via doors, I can add a legend to mark the entrance.... treasure... monsters whatever i want.... it just takes alittle creative thinking xD
Last edited on
Heh, I've made several "DND" type games...
Takes me back...
@Duoas

I believe you're refering to "roguelikes"

Graphics and music have worked wonders for the genre. Example: Elona.

Being creative and seeing how you can make this work with the console is part of the fun.

Well you can certainly do what you like. I guess I just don't understand your mindset. =P

Also that link isn't working for me -- I'm just getting a blank page. I wonder if it's just imageshack sucking.

Nevermind .. it works now.

your console is abnormally large.
Last edited on
Ive got it programed to open to the maxium screen size, however the accual text with probably be sized to either 19" or 21". I'm running a 28" widescreen @ 1920x1200
Heh, I've made several "DND" type games...
Takes me back...

This game is going to be DND on steroids xD

Once I have the engine overhauled and finished along with some new features. I'm going to start working on the core of the game itself... then ill be doing future updates adding to the game. Its something i do to take breaks from gaming alittle bit here and there.

Things ive come up with today:

Warp Scrolls - Return to main city
bmp/jpg images on top of text to represent certain things shops, doors, chest ETC
Dungeon & World maps
Status Ailments

Things Already Planned Or Coded

Food System
Combat
Keys/Chests
Mini Status Display
Teleport System
INN System
Monster Encounters (Static & Random)
Bank / Equipment / Inventory / Loot Buffer / Quest Items
Questing System & Adventure Log
Save/Load/Game Updater
Each Area has its own function
Experience Points System
Dungeon Puzzles
Runs Full Screen With Centered Text & Soon Font Changes
Client now has Registration protection (Equivalent to CD keys)
Using clear screen to give it a video like apearance
NPC Merchants
Item Database
Player Death Handler
Music

Possible Updates:

Faction System
Magic System
Skill System
Spell Book
Skill Book
Usable Objects
Elemental Resistances
Combat Controls Menu instead of round based.
Special Stats on Weapons and Armor (ex Spiked Shield Defense + atk bonus)
Last edited on
Snaef98 wrote:
SFML ... wait till 2.0

If you are set on writing your game as a console program, then by all means go ahead.

However, I just thought I'd point out that should you want to use SFML, and your problem is indeed fixed in version 2.0, then use SFML 2.0. I know it's still under development, but it's not too buggy in my experience.

Snaef98 wrote:
wasn't even able to print strings

This is probably the dreaded SFML default font error. Linking statically and avoiding the default font fixed it for me :P (with SFML 2.0).
The problem with SFML support probably isn't your IDE, it's your compiler. I'm pretty sure that M$ Studio 2010 supports MingW, at least I think past versions of it did.

I did not make this post in hopes of trying to persuade you to switch to a graphical platform, with what you claim to have written so far I would not expect anyone to burn it down and start from scratch. But I understand the frustration you would experiance with a library that everyone throws in your face not working for you(Boost was the one for me).
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.