If you're interested in projects, there are all sorts of things online that you can look at for ideas, just google around- I'm sure you'll find some stuff.
As far as some ideas, here are a couple:
1. Write a journal program. Something to keep track of your days. This is a nice program that you can work on as you get better, as you learn file IO you can learn to save your files, when you get to stringstream you can save your entries based on the date or the number of seconds since jan 1, 1970 (see time(0) in time.h) and if you want to you can learn basic encryption so people can't read your journal entries, then have passwords to retrieve your files, then when you start GUI programming you can implement the whole thing into a GUI =]
2. Make a quick game you can play with friends, to get more people involved in your success. The more people encouraging you the better. Something simple would be a hangman game, or maybe a number guessing game, or perhaps a lexicon game.
3. Make a decision maker. Something that you can input the decision you'd like to make, and the possible outcomes, the computer will then decide for you.
4. Make an alarm clock- or a timer, something that will inform you at a certain time of the day that something needs to be done, or stopped. Then utilize it for your programming for a paradigm of xx minutes of programming followed by xx minutes of break.
5. After your other projects are done, and you're much more confident, start learning a 3rd party library. Something that will allow you to get outside of the console into an exciting world of graphics and guis and sounds =] Make a game, from beginning to end- don't move on until it's done.