(public) Inheritance in real-world code

I'm trying to learn C++ and I've been reading through the C++ FAQ Lite about public inheritance, but I would really like to see some examples. How is this stuff used in the real world? What do "base class" and "derived class" objects look like? And I don't want to see some simple little five lines of code about a Vehicle and a Car; I want the real stuff. How many member functions do they normally have? What kinds of open source/sourceforge projects out there display inheritance? I'm especially irked with questions 19.8 and 19.9 where he says that we're supposed to create a "protected interface," but then he goes on this rant about positive ROI. Spare me the business lecture and give me a couple good examples. Because I'm really not getting this.
The IOstream library uses inheritance extensively. Everything derives from ios_base. Classes istream and ostream inherit from ios, and iostream inherits from both of those. The various fstreams and stringstreams inherit from the normal stream classes.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.