Hi there! *Waves*
I'm making a program to sort all the series I got on my computer in a sexy way so I can search and stuffs, and I wrote this method to find the episode number in the season.
All the filenames follow the same order, which is "Serie name - 'season'x'episode in season' - Episode name", so for example "Stargate SG-1 - 2x06 - Thor's Chariot.avi" is one.
The method I wrote is supposed to find the 06 number in the example filename, but when I look at it, I think it looks horrible :D And I wonder how you guys would do it, if there is a more elegant way.
It does the job, so I guess I'll stick with it for this program, but I don't want to only be able to write code that works, I want to learn how to write good code =)
Anyways, here's the method:
std::wstring Episode::FindEpisodeNumber(std::wstring fileName)
// Index start from the end of the filename and goes backwards
for (int index = fileName.size(); index > 7; --index)
// If it finds "'digit'x'digit'digit' - " which means "2x06 - " from the example
if ((fileName[index - 1] == L' ') &&
(fileName[index - 2] == L'-') &&
(fileName[index - 3] == L' ') &&
(isdigit(fileName[index - 4])) &&
(isdigit(fileName[index - 5])) &&
(fileName[index - 6] == L'x') &&
(isdigit(fileName[index - 7])))
// Remove everything except the episode number (06 from the example) return it
fileName.erase(index - 3, fileName.size() - (index - 4));
fileName.erase(0, index - 5);