What is the C++ compiler used in the C++ tutorial?

as the title describes, i would like to know the name of the compiler used in the tutorial, the one im using (DevC++) doesnt seem to recognize "if"... so if i could either get the name of the compiler or help with mine, that'd be great, thanks in advance!

-Michael
Dev C++ is not a C++ compiler. It is an IDE. An IDE is a set of tools that make it easier to do some tasks. Sometimes an IDE comes with a compiler. Sometimes it does not.

Dev C++ before version 5 is very bad and should not be used. If that is your version, please dispose of it now.

This article explains what a compiler is and gives some options.
http://www.cplusplus.com/articles/Lz18T05o/
I don't think the tutorial on this website was written with any specific compiler in mind. There's a lot of hate (that's well justified, look here: http://www.cplusplus.com/articles/36vU7k9E/) on this website for the Dev-C++ IDE (which uses MinGW as a compiler), and I'd recommend against it. My compiler of choice is g++, and I recommend that you use it (particularly if you're on Linux). If you're running Windows, however, Visual C++ is probably the most popular compiler (that also comes with a fantastic IDE), and worth trying out.

As for your problem with Dev-C++ "not recognizing if," I don't really understand what your mean. If you're willing to post the specific code that's giving you an error, I'd be happy to try and diagnose the problem.
Last edited on
ive switched over to visual c++ express, the only problem is, it seems to have different commands... like, cout and cin are not recognized.

Error 1 error C2065: 'cout' : undeclared identifier
You have to include <iostream> and use using directive for namespace std to use names cout and cin.

For example

#include <iostream>

using namespace std;

int main()
{
   cout << "Hello World" << endl;
   return 0;
}
nevermind, i figured it out..!!! :) thanks for the help you guys.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.