Code:Blocks with MinGW vs. Visual C++ Express

I have gotten interested in chess engine programming. I have downloaded both Code::Blocks with MinGW and Visual C++ Express 2010 and have noticed a difference in the speed and strength of the same chess engine when compiled using these different IDEs. Can anyone explain why this happens?
Compiler optimizations are different for different compilers. C++ code doesn't get "literally" translated to machine code. There are a lot of optimizations the compiler does behind the scenes.
Have you compared the performance with similar optimization settings on both implementations?

For instance, the VC++ Express default 'Release' build vs. the CodeBlocks 'Opitmize for Speed' ( g++ -O3 )?
This was with the defaults for both. I have since been playing around with the optimization settings for both and I must say that I have had more promising results with CodeBlocks. I so far have not had allot of success optimizing VC Express. Any time I select an optimization setting I get an error/conflict with the debugger or some other settings.

Optimizing CodeBlocks has much more successful and as a result the compiled code has performed even better than the code compiled with VC Express.

What all needs to change in VC Express to achieve similar optimization as the g++ -O3 settings?
> Any time I select an optimization setting I get an error/conflict with the debugger or some other settings.

Are you trying to select these optimization settings in the 'Debug Configuration'?

If so, switch to the 'Release Configuration'.
Build => Configuration Manager => Active Configuration => Release (IIRC)
It's not even that hard.

Right on the toolbar there's a drop-list that says "Debug" in it. Just change that to "Release". That changes the current configuration. Then you can tweak all the optimization settings and rebuild.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.