SFML or SDL on a virtual machine

In order to simplify team development of a simple game, I am considering the idea of installing and setting up a development environment in linux on a virtual machine, and distributing copies to each team member.

There could be a few problems however. My only experience with this sort of thing is developing a clutter app on a linux virtual machine. I had to enable intel virtualization technology in bios in order for it to work due to clutter requiring access to hardware with 3D acceleration capability.

Anyways, does SDL or SFML have this kind of dependency? Anyone have any experience with this? In other words, will SDL or SFML run without hardware acceleration?
SDL will run without hardware acceleration. Not sure about SFML. I think not.
As far as I know SFML runs on top of OpenGL, which is hardware dependent.
AFAIK SDL runs on top of DirectX (on Windows -- specificaly DirectDraw), which is also hardware dependent. But maybe it runs on OpenGL since that would help with portability (not to mention it has integration with OpenGL)

Neither SDL nor SFML have to be hardware accellerated. But you'll get crap performance out of each of them unless it's enabled.

If I had to wager I'd guess that SDL would perform better in the absense of hw accelleration, but take that with a grain of salt.
Last edited on
I guess we'll give SDL a try.
Be careful when using SDL for alpha blending in cross-platform code. I've found that the same code in Windows and Linux would produce quite different results when blending two surfaces with alpha channels. I don't remember the specifics, though. I do remember it was so bad I ended up just coding the alpha blending in software myself.
SFML is on top of OpenGL and uses hardware acceleration.
SDL uses software renderer.

SFML is written in c++ in an OO manner. (extremely simple and awesome)
SDL is written in c with calling functions and passing objects as parameters.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.