Malicious Prank: Not destructive, just very very very very annoying....

Pages: 123
We can debate technicalities until the sun goes nova, and it wont matter. Jokin about beating someone up is wrong. Am I really the only one here who has a sense of morality?

Yes. You're the only one here with a sense of morality. That is, if morality is circumscribed by what you're willing to joke about as opposed to the lengths you're willing to go to punish someone for not behaving the way you wish they would.

You're obviously a great philosopher.
Last edited on
IWishIKnew wrote:
Jokin about beating someone up is wrong. Am I really the only one here who has a sense of morality?

+1 @ cire. You need to lighten up.

Jokes are jokes. Which means they're not meant to be taken seriously. It's one thing to not find the joke funny (I didn't think it was funny at all), but to get so outraged by it is absurd. You need to chillax.

If you're going to remove violence from joke-telling, you're going to ruin a good 30% of (really funny) jokes that exist.

For example... the classic "chicken fight" scene from Family Guy:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jpoki4wBwtA

Hell, even xkcd (possibly the least offensive web comic in history), even makes jokes about *gasp* murdering people:
http://xkcd.com/356/
http://xkcd.com/515/

So yeah. Take a chill pill. Your outrage is misplaced and makes you look like you have a stick up your booty.

EDIT: changed "ass" to "booty" because it's funnier.
Last edited on
"Our subconscious minds have no sense of humor, play no jokes and cannot tell the difference between reality and an imagined thought or image. What we continually think about eventually will manifest in our lives."

- Robert Collier

I have no problems with the jokes themselves, but the facvt that you can do it so casually. Like it's just some other normal thing. Communication (talking) creates ideas, ideas become plans, and plans become projects. Not that joking about violent acts is bad, but suggesting it as humorous is. The more we do that, the more it becomes a joke, and the less the act itself is to be taken seriously.

That is the problem.

I'm not saying you should have the same morals as I, but that you should reconsider what you find funny, and what you don't.

The chicken fight scene from family guy is not a good example. That's just plain rediculous, and is a mockery of people who get mad over simple things like an out-dated coupon.
Last edited on
"Our subconscious minds have no sense of humor, play no jokes and cannot tell the difference between reality and an imagined thought or image. What we continually think about eventually will manifest in our lives."

Apply this notion to the petty revenge you seek. I would say that notion has more heavily occupied your mind than any off-the-cuff joke tendered here has occupied the mind of the joker. Perhaps that's why nobody's beating anyone up here, but you're writing malware.

How long will the irony continue to escape you?
closed account (z05DSL3A)
Exactly the same can be said for your dumb ass malicious prank (malware).
Umm... I had nothing to do with this :p

IWishIKnew wrote:

Something tells me that this quote originated, or at least has been used, by people who think that video games make people violent. Just so you know, this has been completely debunked, rendering that argument NULL and void. Research shows that people who do terrible things in games (i.e. slaughtering people) doesn't mean that their capable of doing it in real life, and that real life is too drastically different for any actual connection to be made. If games that have MILLIONS of dollars invested into making them seem "real" to the user aren't close enough to real for that connection, then I don't think a small joke on a forum is going to be any closer. Yes, one can easily joke about beating someone up, but if put in said situation would most likely not be able to do it (unless of course self defense required it, or if they really were messed up [which certainly wasn't caused by a joke]).

http://www.ign.com/blogs/brianalbert/2012/10/02/theres-a-killer-in-all-of-us?utm_source=Thursday%20newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=10.4%20Dynamic%20Newsletter_English_FNAME_8043_408556_408613&utm_content=16478544
Last edited on
Our subconscious minds have no sense of humor, play no jokes

BS. My subconscious makes me laugh fairly regularly by suggesting a joke I hadn't actively thought about. You can't tell me a joke or something funny has never just "come to you" without you trying to think about it.

That = your subconscious.

and cannot tell the difference between reality and an imagined thought or image

Never heard of (or had any) lucid dreams? They exist entirely in your subconscious but you are aware that they're fantasy.

IWishIKnew wrote:
What we continually think about eventually will manifest in our lives.

There's a pretty obvious difference between "continually thinking about" assaulting someone, and cracking the occasional joke about it.

If you can't mentally separate finding humor in a joke about beating someone up vs. actually beating someone up, you probably have some kind of abnormal mental condition.

Most people can do it just fine.

I have no problems with the jokes themselves, but the facvt that you can do it so casually. Like it's just some other normal thing.

A joke is just some other normal thing. And a joke that isn't delivered casually probably isn't going to be funny. How else was he supposed to deliver it?

Not that joking about violent acts is bad, but suggesting it as humorous is.

Which one is it? Jokes are by definition humorous... so how can you joke about something but at the same time not suggest that it is humorous?

You are taking this "slippery slope" business to absurd extremes. Ever heard of slapstick? 3 Stooges? Tom & Jerry? All pretty violent stuff -- and even displayed visually, not simply alluded to in text.

Several generations grew up on that, and most of them turned out just fine.

So yeah. Lighten up. You're being ridiculous.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.
Pages: 123