Deference Operator

So I have been looking around here http://www.cplusplus.com/doc/tutorial/pointers/

Notably this statement "Using a pointer we can directly access the value stored in the variable which it points to. To do this, we simply have to precede the pointer's identifier with an asterisk (*), which acts as dereference operator and that can be literally translated to "value pointed by"."

So... If I had

int find_file(const dir_t *dir, string file_name, FILETYPE file_type,
int user);
/* REQUIRES: *dir is a valid directory pointer
* EFFECTS: Searches for file with matching name and file_type, which 
* is also accessible by user. If such a file exists, return the file 
* location. Return -1 otherwise.
*/

If I was trying to implement it... would i have to put the deference operator in front of dir?

As in...
for(int i=0; i<*dir.num_files; i++)
{
   if(*dir.files[i]... // and so on 

This is what I would have to do in this case, correct?

Thanks!
You could do it like that. To make it clearer you would need to enclose the pointer in parentheses:
(*dir).num_files;

The compiler would resolve the pointer first then access the member.

or you could use ->, which tells the compiler that you want to access the member that the pointer houses.

dir->files[i];
Last edited on
Thanks.

Which would you say is more common? I kind of like the -> better. *'s give me nightmares at the moment. T.T
I much prefer the -> too - the reason the -> operator was invented was because pointer access to members is used so much. It makes the code much easier to read as well.
With due deference to the OP, the word in this context is dereference (de-reference).
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.