how to overite multimap::insert?

Hi,

I am coding a multithread program.
I have a multimap that will receive data from many threads.
Therefore I want to wrap the class in a derived class with overwitten members as necessary.
This is my code to do his:
template <typename T> class Border_map :
    public std::multimap<T, RC>
{
    std::mutex _mutex ;

public:
    std::multimap<T, RC>::iterator insert ( const value_type& x ) // ERROR HERE
    {
        std::lock_guard<std::mutex> guard (_mutex) ;
        return std::multimap<T, RC>::insert(x) ;
    }
} ;

The compiler does not understand any of my attempts at describing the return type of the function insert. What should I write instead?

thanks, Olivier
First of all, what is "RC"? It's not declared anywhere in your example.

Second, both iterator and value_type are dependent types, the correct syntax would be
typename std::multimap<T, RC>::iterator insert(const typename std::multimap<T, RC>::value_type& x )

Third, don't inherit from std::multimap, use composition.
Last edited on
iterator is already in scope because you inherited.
Last edited on
@Cubbi
Thanks. it works. I was not familiar with this use of keyword typename. As far as I understood what I read since your reply, we must use it anywhere the compiler cannot understand from te context that we are actually describing a type name. Correct?

why did you advise not to inherit from std::multimap?

I chose heritage because I did not want to overwrite all the methods I will be using, but only those for which I need a lock. Is there anything wrong in this logic? or is there something more important that I have ignored?

@L B
I thought it was in the scope, but the compiler did not accept a line like this:iterator insert(...)
why did you advise not to inherit from std::multimap?

Because it is not a polymorphic class. Specifically, its destructor is public nonvirtual. While you technically can do this, public inheritance from such classes is bad design.
Last edited on
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.