game programming

I'm trying to learn to use allegro. I'm using dev c++.
I get bunch of linker errors Saying:
[Linker error] undefined reference to `install_keyboard'
[Linker error] undefined reference to `set_gfx_mode'
[Linker error] undefined reference to `readkey'
and lots others

This is the code.
#include <allegro.h> // You must include the Allegro Header file
int main(int argc, char *argv[])
{ 
    allegro_init(); // Initialize Allegro
    install_keyboard(); // Initialize keyboard routines
    set_gfx_mode(GFX_AUTODETECT, 640,480,0,0); // Change our graphics mode to 640x480
    readkey(); // Wait untill a key is pressed
    return 0; // Exit with no errors
}
END_OF_MAIN() // This must be called right after the closing bracket of your MAIN function.
                       // It is Allegro specific. 

You've included the allegro header, but have you linked to the library? You need to find the linker settings in your IDE and ensure that you are linking to the library file.

If that's not easy, then switch compilers. Dev C++ is terrible (although I've heard that it was finally updated lately).
What compiler do you think I should use?
as Stewbond says, you have to make sure you link to the allegro library (.lib) file. I'd strongly recommend you switch to Microsoft Visual C++ Express 2010, It is the most advanced compiler currently, doesn't have all the bugs that DevCPP does and also ITS FREE!. You can download it from here: http://www.microsoft.com/visualstudio/eng/downloads . Remeber, choose the EXPRESS one, not the professional because that version is not free. Believe me, I've worked with DevCpp before and I got a lot of errors I couldn't solve. Then I found out that my program was not wrong, but the compiler Was.
Code::Blocks is another good one with MinGW. Also free.
Last edited on
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.