Which is better?

#pragma once
//code.... 

#ifndef CLASS_NAME_H
#define CLASS_NAME_H
//code....
#endif 

I use the first one because thats the way I was taught it and to me it seems more logical but I don't know the ins and out of how the preprocessor handles each one. Why is #ifndef CLASS_NAME_H used as more or less the standard and not #pragma once and how does the preprocessor handle both cases?
Last edited on
See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pragma_once#Advantages_and_disadvantages

One disadvantage of #pragma once not mentioned in the article is that with it, the include guard is not predictable. This may be of importance if your program has a large number of header files (say 500) with deeply nested nested #include directives.
The #ifndef method is supported by all compilers, the #pragma command is supported by only a few compilers.

From the C++11 draft standard.
Pragma directive [cpp.pragma]
1 A preprocessing directive of the form # pragma pp-tokensopt new-line
causes the implementation to behave in an implementation-defined manner. The behavior might cause
translation to fail or cause the translator or the resulting program to behave in a non-conforming manner.
Any pragma that is not recognized by the implementation is ignored.

So is it going to be the standard as more compilers support it? I've never had portability issues with my code but I only have ever used gcc on Unix(Linux and OS X) and the Visual Studio compiler on Windows. Would it be considered a bad habit to use #pragma once because I actually learned this way when I was doing my work placement with a huge multinational company.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.