C++ IDE

Pages: 12
thanks to all..... i need also these types of information....
Exiled is just trolling so don't bother responding to his comments.
Any Linux distro.

/thread
I'm not really trolling- I strongly believe in this opinion of mine(though I am exaggerating my emotions).

Guestgulkan: No need for insults. Let's keep this debate clean. Microsoft would want to make a cross-platform product so they could have a monopoly on that product's category but over not only Windows users, but also Mac and Linux users. It's so Nazi-ish- also a very bad business decision. They could have "drawbacks" for Mac and Linux versions of something like an IDE: for example, the Mac and Linux versions could cost more or something. Their Nazi-ish business methods are really stupid.
Again I'm no fan of microsoft but they are hardly nazis. And by the way, c#can be used in linux and I would assume mac as well. You are entitled to your opinion, but to give "advice" not to use VS solidly based on that biased opinion doesn't help anyone.
Apple's policies are just as much "nazi"ish as MS is. They go out of their own way to form their own standard. Apple forces you to use iTunes to sync with any of their devices. They also form their own nonstandard plugs instead of using something commonly accepted like USB.

You mentioned C# as MS's proprietary language... but neglected to mention Objective-C, which is the [IMO, inferior] Apple equivilent.

The only difference between Apple's and MS's policies is that MS was more successful at it. And it's no surprise... their products (at least when it comes to software) are consistently better.

Besides... MSVS has a free version. How can you rag on a company for being all about profiteering when they're giving away a fully functional and quality IDE for free?


Linux (GNU) also does the same thing, in a sense. Ever read the GPL? If you using any GPL code, you must also license under GPL (or something equivilent). Those greedy bastards! Trying to get a monopoly on source licensing like that!


The anti-fanboyism of MS is really tired. It doesn't help when you refer to them as nazis, either. It just makes you look like a joke.


What's your problem with VS, anyway? I mean other than it was made by Microsoft. I can understand it not being your favorite IDE... but it's pretty much superior to C::B in like every way imaginable.

I'm sure if the exact same program was made by some indie developer you would splooge over how awesome it is.
Last edited on
You must be in a bad mood.

And yeah, of course- I don't like Apple neither. The thing is- all of these problems are why people need to program cross-platform code. It's really ridiculous how many games are using Microsoft-only technology so Linux and Mac users can't play them.

Let me set this straight- I don't like Apple at all! My main point is focused around Microsoft. You speak as if I am an Apple fanboy- I am not. Honestly my side lies with no company nor OS- I always code cross-platform so whatever OS someone is using my games(that is what I program primarily, as you probably can guess) will have a version for them. The reason I have a problem with Microsoft is they have taken this monopoly thing way too far! Again, two libraries- only available on Windows! Two languages- only working on Windows! An INTERNET BROWSER- only working on Windows! It's just ridiculous- if people want to play games on Linux they should be able to!

Makes me look like a joke? Alright, whatever you say! Again, the insults aren't necessary.

Dude, I don't even use C::B. When I used VS it was buggy, didn't even let me debug nor run inside of the IDE itself- it's not even quality software. Their stupid "autoformatting" completely slows down the IDE. Not to mention it is a huge program while there are so many lightweight alternatives out there. Honestly the best option is to not use an IDE at all.


@naraku9333:
C# cannot be used in Linux- it uses something external(I forgot what, exactly... started with an M..?) to run .NET applications. Just like WINE. Both of them, from what I have heard, are extremely buggy and slow.
Its called mono and from my experience is no slower then MS .net implementation. Also I've been using VS for years (2008, 2010, and 2012) and have never found it buggy except for 2012 but that was expected as it was beta.
Exiled wrote:
didn't even let me debug nor run inside of the IDE itself

Press F5 to debug (remember you have to have build it in the "debug" configuration.
Press CTRL+F5 to run the program.

Exiled wrote:
"autoformatting" completely slows down the IDE

Are you talking about the auto-indenting? I think that's a very useful feature and I can't imagine that it slows anything down as it really is a very small process. Are you talking about intellisense? When you open a huge project, it can take a while for intellisense to initialize, but that's done in another thread. You are free to code away without it until it comes online. You can also disable it if you so desire (but it's a great tool).

Exiled wrote:
I always code cross-platform

You can do this with Visual Studio as well, just don't include any platform specific libraries. If you want to cross-compile, then use a 3rd party cross-compiler to compile your linux/MAC binaries. You can still keep your code in a VS solution for your WIN32 binaries and as it's a great text editor.

Your problem with C# should not be with the creators of C#, it should be with the users of C#. If a company chooses to make MS-only software, then complain to them, not Microsoft. The reason that they use platform specific libraries such as DirectX is not because they are trying to boost the MS monopoly, but because those libraries are REALLY good, easy to learn, well documented, and very powerful.

Microsoft's products such as C# or DirectX are designed to integrate with Windows in a more direct manner than the cross-platform alternatives as they can omit the WinAPI as an extra layer. That makes them slightly more efficient at what they do. Making these products cross-platform would remove that advantage. A poorer product while promoting competing products is not something that I would expect myself to choose in my products, so why would I expect MS to choose to do it?

Oh, and disch was correct in everything he said. The post was well-formed which doesn't reflect a "bad mood".
Last edited on
Exiled wrote:
You must be in a bad mood.


Not really. I just see a lot of this, and it just gets very tiring. For some reason there are a lot of kiddies that think bashing Microsoft is cool because they're sticking it to the man or something. I honestly don't know what it's about.

You just strike me as one of those people. But I guess I should count my blessings that you're not typing "M$"


all of these problems are why people need to program cross-platform code


I try to make every released project I do to be crossplatform. That doesn't stop me from using VS when I'm programming on Windows. One has nothing to do with the other.

It's really ridiculous how many games are using Microsoft-only technology so Linux and Mac users can't play them.


Stewbond is right. Sounds like your beef is with the authors of those programs... not with Microsoft. You need to redirect your focus.

Besides... wanting people to write crossplatform code doesn't really translate into a reason not to use a platform specific tool. The two aren't really related.

You speak as if I am an Apple fanboy- I am not.


My point was that it's all relative. You mentioned Microsoft as being evil... but really any alternative is the same. So they're just doing what everyone does. That's not being evil.. that's being normal.

I'm sure I could list several Linux-only and Mac-only programs... just as I'm sure you can list several Windows only programs. I fail to see why this bothers you... nor why you seem to be suggesting that people should only use cross-platform software.

The reason I have a problem with Microsoft is they have taken this monopoly thing way too far! Again, two libraries- only available on Windows! Two languages- only working on Windows! An INTERNET BROWSER- only working on Windows!


You're not describing a monopoly. You're describing smart business practices. You don't see Nintendo making games for the Playstation... and it's for the same reason. It'd be stupid for them to encourage people to purchase their competitor's product.

So yeah. Microsoft wants you to buy Windows. And yeah... the programs they make are going to only be for Windows. But the thing is... you don't have to use Windows. There are alternatives.... which means it's not a monopoly. A monopoly implies there are no alternatives.

Of course the alternatives are often arguably not as good. But that's not Microsoft's fault. And sometimes the alternatives are better! I think Firefox is a vastly superior program to IE.



When I used VS it was buggy


From my experience VS has been pretty stable since 7.1. Although granted 7.0 was a disaster. But that was like 13 years ago. It's come a long way since then.

didn't even let me debug nor run inside of the IDE itself


I've never had a problem with this ever.

Their stupid "autoformatting" completely slows down the IDE.


I'm not sure what you're referring to.

VS2012 Express boots on my machine in 2.5 seconds. It loads my solution of maybe 50+ files in about 5 seconds. I don't notice any lag or slowdown when typing code. My system is over 3 years old and was not top of the line when I bought it.

Not to mention it is a huge program while there are so many lightweight alternatives out there.


You got me there. This is a valid reason for not wanting to use VS. (As is the stuff you mentioned in the rest of that paragraph).

You know... we could have avoided this entire debate had you just said these things up front instead of just calling Microsoft a Nazi company. It's much better to actually give valid reasons to support your claim rather than spout off hysterical drivel.


There are plenty of reasons not to use VS. It being Windows-only is definitely one of them (if you need a crossplatform IDE). But if you don't need a crossplatform IDE... and if you're on Windows... then don't rule it out simply because Microsoft made it. That's stupid.


Honestly the best option is to not use an IDE at all.


I see. You're one of those masochists. ;P

(sarcasm, hence the tongue smilie)


Makes me look like a joke? Alright, whatever you say!


It does. It's very difficult to take someone seriously when they're comparing Nazis to completely unrelated things. Take that as an insult if you want, but it's the truth.

If I started comparing you to Hitler, I'm sure I'd look like a fool.

Stewbond wrote:
Oh, and disch was correct in everything he said. The post was well-formed which doesn't reflect a "bad mood".


In honesty there was a high level of sarcasm in my previous reply. I tried to tone it down here.
Without picking sides here, I'd like to remark that the use of the term "Nazi" is highly inappropriate in this kind of context. If you mean "imperialistic" or "xenophobic", then use those words. The word "Nazi" has a specific historic meaning, which means that to some people the term can be offensive.

Anyway... carry on :)

All the best,
NwN
This is my advice.
install qt creator and learn qt.
It is a framework for c++. Unlike .Net, It is crossplatform. you can compile exact code in windows, mac and linux.
It's awesome, much better than .Net
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.
Pages: 12