Stdout memory limit

Hi,

I am running a program remotely in Linux that outputs a lot to the screen. When I left this to run for a while, the machine locked up and I assume it ran out of memory. Is there a limit to how much I can output to the screen? If so, would piping the output to a file help?

Thanks!
closed account (18hRX9L8)
Are you using some insanely long list of variables or an array or a long loop that changes the value of a few variable and outputs it to the screen?
Last edited on
I am running a program that loops ~20,000 times and every time it outputs ~5 lines, which shows the state of the program.

The machine also has > 100 GB of RAM.
Last edited on
0.0 OMG! 100 GB of RAM! I don't know much about remote computing. It depends where you are storing the data the program is outputting. Try restarting the machine? lol
closed account (18hRX9L8)
Wait, but don't you use the same variables?

For example:
/* Dont run the program, just an example. */
#include <iostream>

int main()
{
	std::string programstate="Its working";

for(int i=0;i<20000;i++)
	{
		for(int j=0;j<5;j++)
		{
			std::cout<<programstate<<std::endl;
		}
	}
        return(-1);
}

So, why would the system run out of memory? Sure, it would slow down, but it won't run out of memory.
Last edited on
closed account (3hM2Nwbp)
Are you trying to do this over a terminal service (like putty?) > 100,000 lines being sent practically instantly over such a connection would make me suspect something funky happening with either the connection protocols, latency, or maybe even a security service running on remote box. A quick test would be to dump the reports to a file and then grab the file using conventional methods.
Last edited on
such a connection would make me suspect something funky happening with either the connection protocols, latency, or maybe even a security service running on remote box. A quick test would be to dump the reports to a file and then grab the file using conventional methods.

I'm using ssh to log into the machine so this could be possible.

My worry was that the output had to be stored in some sort of buffer, which could potentially become filled.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.