Streaming Audio

Hey everyone I am new the these forums. I am a 5th year university student double majoring in Information Tech. & Administrative Management, and Computer Science. I am looking to start some projects outside of school to help build my portfolio and my experience and found one at work that I thought would be great but I need a little help getting pointed in the right direction because I had a hard time finding resources online.

So I work for a radio station as their webmaster, and we have been looking into online streaming options for the last few months for our website. Pretty much everyone charges a monthly fee for this type of service and I feel like it is something I am capable of doing myself.

At the station we have a computer dedicated to operating the music/talk. On this computer there is a program that ques all the music, ads, ect.. This would be my audio source: Either the program playing all the music, or the computer itself.

The problem I have been pondering all night is how would I access this input source? The only audio input I am familiar with accessing is .mp3 or .wav files. How can I code my program to access this audio the program is producing and stream it to people on the web?

All help is appreciated.
Last edited on
Use IceCast. It is open source and free of charge (of course you need to have your own server with enough internet bandwith).
http://www.icecast.org/
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.