does college prepare you for real world

Hi guys, I have a quick question for those people who are programmers as their career. Did you learn most of what you needed to know in college, or did you learn while on the job?
Any responses are greatly appreciated.
NO At all..
what does that mean?
college qualifies you to get your foot in the door but all the learning comes from the drive for programming. You are here that is a good start. Programming is not something that you can go to collage and learn and your done for the rest of you life. Programming is learned daily from here on out till the rest of your programming career.
The title of the post is totally different from the question within the post.

So the answer is YES and NO. YES, college prepares you for the real world. If it didn't, then employers wouldn't care about college degrees. As far as where I learned the most I've been out of college for 15 years or so now. At some point that answer changes. As you grow and learn more then eventually you will have learned more outside of college than in college. However, that does not degrade the need for college. College prepared me so that I could continue to expand my knowledge. No way would I be able to accomplish the same thing without having been through college first.

I was a little worried when I started my first job. I had no idea if I was really ready. However, when I started writing and debugging code I did feel as though I was properly trained and ready to do it. Of course your knowledge expands considerably while on the job. Example; while debugging some data once I realized how quickly I could perform number conversions and read Interface Documents to debug problems. The ability to do that with speed came from the hours and hours of time spent studying and doing homework.
Absolutely it does (sometimes ;-). I work with interns just in their second and third year of college that can program better than many professionals. Having said that, these guys clearly had some natural ability going in, they are passionate about programming and they WORK HARD. YMMV.

+1 Turtle. No matter what you learn at any time in your career, programming is constantly evolving and you can never learn enough to stop learning. Unless you're OK with stagnating.
I agree with Kempofighter here.

The title of the thread - does college prepare you for real world? - does not match the OP's question which is - Hi guys, I have a quick question for those people who are programmers as their career. Did you learn most of what you needed to know in college, or did you learn while on the job?
Any responses are greatly appreciated.

and is thus ambiguous.

What does the OP really want to know????
Last edited on
personally I think the OP wants to have some idea of what happens after you get out of uni and into the professional world - do you plunge straight into another massive learning curve or is it not too hard because you learnt most of it in uni? or is it somewhere in between?

@palauan73: please correct me if I've misunderstood
Thank you guys. I simply wanted to know if college prepares you for real career work. Doing the programming projects at school have gone very well and were fairly simple. I have been researching and I noticed that code from major companies is much more sophisticated, and like nothing I've ever seen.
Well, college gives you an introductory idea of what you will experience in real world. OF COURSE! Code from companies is lotta bigger than code that college teaches you.

If you feel that what you learn at school isn't quite hard enough, you should dive into real man coding. Go and swim a bit in something beyond school, you will need it when you start working at the dev industry.

College, was for me, a fun park with joy where I could use part of my free time to study complex things.

Regards!
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.