VS vs Others

Never used Visual Studio before but im venturing out into DirectX and figure it would work best together. So what are the differences with VS compared to other compilers? Do i need a book or can someone give me a quick rundown?
I hope you're not planning to use the raw MSVC compiler. Usually you just use the VC++ IDE and adjust your project settings; it calls the compiler and such for you.

I have used VC++ quite a lot and it's just like any other IDE I've seen. What in particular are you trying to figure out? It's certainly not complicated enough to need a book.
I've seen posts related to syntax more than anything else. Also that VS is more "standard" or "professional" so some sloppier code VS cant figure out, something to that affect.

All i know is that folks coming from using other compilers try to code as before and cant get there programs to work. Im just trying to figure out what, if any, problems there may be or what VS might do differently so i can change accordingly and dodge some issues before they come.

"I hope you're not planning to use the raw MSVC compiler. Usually you just use the VC++ IDE and adjust your project settings; it calls the compiler and such for you."

Im using VS2012. Is that a problem with DirectX?

EDIT: Ill Rephrase, not the compiler, the IDE i suppose. I say compiler because at the end of the day the compiler still does the heavy lifting and spits back the errors.
Last edited on
In VC++ in general, the type of project you make (the project settings, essentially) change C++ syntax a little. If you want to use the standard int main() you have to create a new BLANK project, not a win32 or console project, which use things like _tmain and such. Other than that I don't know what differences you're referring to - the C++ syntax is all still the same assuming you're not accidentally using "C++/CLI", which is an entirely different language that is an extension of C++.

As for DirectX stuff, as long as you can compile and link properly to the headers and libraries for DirectX, you can compile under any compiler on any operating system. Doing it on windows just lets you test and debug it right away.
Ok thanks, if i have any other questions ill post.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.