The output for this code is :

Example 1
A
Example 2
A
Example 3
B
Press any key to continue . . .

I would expect that both examples 2 & 3 will give me the same result.
I tried to figure it out but I could not.
Both are references of a base class type, that get a derived object.
Q1 : why is the difference between them ?

As I see it, its kind of a mix between pointer - which in case of virtual method that was override in derived class - would give me the derived method (e.g. "B")
and between regular object - which in case of virtual method that was override - would give me the specific method (Still "B").
So, example 2 "use" it as a regular object and example 3, "use" it as pointer.
Q2 : How should I refer to it ?

I am using VS2008.

Thanks
You can't rebind a reference.
refA = b; is using the assignment operator, would be equivalent to a = b;
Hi again
I still didn't get it...

What that it mean I can't rebind it ?

What actually happened in this line : refA = b; ?

you said a = b, so a got its derived object - so why b->f() does not activate ?

Thanks

he/she means that you cannot re-assign a reference, you must assign it at initialisation.
you said a = b, so a got its derived object

It didn't. The expression a = b (or refA = b, same thing) doesn't change the type of the object a, it's still A, and a.f() (or refA.f(), same thing) still calls A::f().
What actually happened in this line : refA = b; ?
it actually copies the data from the A part of B to the object a.

If A had a member i and B a member j, only the member i would have been copied
Let consider statement

refA = b;

it is equivalent to

refA.operator =( b );

However in struct A there is no such an assignment operator that assigns an object of type struct B to an object of type struct A.

The compiler implicitly created the following copy assignment operator

A & operator =( const A & );

So struct A has only this copy assignment operator. But you are trying in fact to use the following copy assignment operator

A & operator =( const B & );

There is no such a copy assignment operattor. So the compiler will try to apply the copy assignment operator that it created implicitly that is the operator shown above

In this case it will convert the operand from type B to A and apply the operator. As you see the return type of the operator is A &
So refA will refer to an object of type A as before.
That is in fact object 'b' converted to type struct A will be assigned to object 'a'. refA always will refer to 'a'. You can not to change refA such a way that it would refer some other object. A reference can refer only one object that is specified when the reference is declared.
Last edited on
Ok, thanks, I got your point except one thing which end filling my puzzle...

I understand that "A reference can refer only one object that is specified when the reference is declared" as Vlad said.

so it make sense that at example 2 "A" would be printed. and you also explained it very well using the operator "=".

but what about example 3 ?
It declared to reference b object from the start, so "B" would be printed as you explained.

But what about the operator "=" there at example 3?
Can I assume that in that case, the compiler implicitly created the following copy assignment operator :

A & operator =( const B & );
and not

I must say that you are great !!! Thanks :-)l
But what about the operator "=" there at example 3?

If you are referring to the statement A& otherRefA = b;, it does not involve operator= because it's not an assignment. It is reference initialization: http://en.cppreference.com/w/cpp/language/reference_initialization
Last edited on
In example 3 the copy assignment operator is not used,

A& otherRefA = b;

It is a declaration in which declared reference otherRefA is initialized by referencing object 'b'. References shall be initialized when they are declared.
Now it's all clear !!
If it helps, I recommend never using the = sign for declarations/initializations. Use the constructor syntax or C++11 initializer list syntax:
int x1 (4);
int x2 {7};
int &y {x1};
int &z (x2);
It doesn't matter in some cases whether you use () or {}, but I recommend you prefer to use {} because sometimes the compiler can think that () is a function declaration.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.