Headers with Multiple .cpp Files

So I have a rather large (for me) project, requiring me to have two .cpp files and a header. At least, I think this is what I need, but I'm not completely sure. Anyway, both of the .cpp files #include the header file, but I recieve linker errors because the variables and functions in the header are declared and defined twice (once in each .cpp file). How am I supposed to do this?

Thank you!
Numeri
A function shouldn't have multiple definitions in each cpp file. Otherwise, when you call it, which version are you referring to? You should have exactly one.

Perhaps if you gave a bit more detail I could give more advice.
Sorry, I wasn't very clear there. (this is as far as I understand it) Because I #include the header file, the contents of the header file are copy\pasted into the .cpp files. Then it (I think) is having a fit, because both .cpp files have the function definitions in them.

Thanks!
It sounds like there are definitions in the header file that should only be in the .cpp file.
But since I have two of them, and I want both of them to be able to use the variables (do calculations, modify the values, etc), what am I supposed to do?

Thanks!
Bump.
You don't need to define them again in each source file. As long as a file includes the header, and the functions are defined somewhere in your source, the file will be able to call them.
The usual approach is to create a cpp file for each header, containing the definitions of the functions.

An exception to this are definition of templates.
¿do you mean evil global variables?
mark them as extern (shared)
Last edited on
Okay. This makes a lot more sense!

Thank you everyone!
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.