Can I make a game using C++ and SFML only?

Hi! I wanted to make a game with a few friends. By a few I mean like 10 other people. We're pretty well set up. We have people doing graphics, music, story, coding, and testing(just a few friends I didn't wanna leave out). I originally wanted to make the game 3D, but after doing research I found that making a 3D game with no experience was going to be hard. Instead of just giving up, I thought "Maybe I could just make it 2D!" The thought seemed good at first, but it was going to kind of ruin the plot of the game. So I thought for about a 5 days to a week about it and thought maybe I could make a game kind of like the graphics Pokemon for the DS uses(I will talk about that more later).

I was thinking of how I could still make the game's storyline work without 3D graphics, and I remembered how games like Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time and Pokemon for the DS looked. They both have a unique camera angle. If you have ever played Pokemon for the DS you'll know the type of graphics I mean. They have the camera in a kind of birds eye view angle, but slightly tilted. It's hard to explain. Is a game with that type of graphics considered a 2D or a 3D game? Would I be able to make it with SFML and C++?

My other question is that since i'm using SFML alone, do I need a physics engine? I have heard that Box2D is a good 2D physics engine, but do I need a physics engine? Does SFML do everything I need it to do? Basically, can I still just use SFML and C++ to make a game or do I need to use something else for physics? I know SFML has sound capabilities and graphics, but is it a physics engine too?

I've been planning on making a game for a long time now, since 2011 actually. But I gave up on it. Then I got the inspiration to make it again in 2012. My friends wanted to join in, so I said why not, and now we are a team of 11 people. I have went through a long period of time just planning this, and have been under a lot of stress trying to find answers on the internet. I heavily rely on people in this forum to help me with my endivors. If you ever see my game and you've help me, you can think "I helped that guy!" ;) We are all a team of 13-14 year olds, so it wont be an easy task but I think we can do it :D Thanks in advance for any help given!! If there is anything you want me to elaborate on I'd be happy to.
Last edited on
 a kind of birds eye view angle, but slightly tilted

It is called an isometric view and it is 2D. (or 2.5D in some cases). If you can do usual 2d tiles, you can isometric tiles:
http://users.tkk.fi/jtpelto2/nhscreen_big01.jpg
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/3a/NetHack-ascension.png
http://penguinpetes.com/images/Nethack_screenshot.jpg
This is one game (almost) with different tilesets.
do I need a physics engine? 

You should know better. Do you need it? Do you have complex physics you cannot calculate yourself?
Are you familiar with the indie industry for games? If your references and inspirations come from huge game companies, you may find yourself struggling for the impossible.

Not all games have to be 3D to be good, or plain awesome really. Bastion is a really good example of stellar storytelling and fluid game play. It's 2D in the sense of the character's movement with an isometric view, but with sort of 3D-ish graphics.

Shank, Shank2 and Mark of the Ninja, really tight and awesome game play and pretty awesome to look at as well. 2D side scrolling action games.

As for physics engine, well take a look at Faster Than Light (aka FTL), Sword of the Stars: The Pit, Desktop Dungeon or Puzzle Quest 2. No physics to speak of, but still really good games in their own right although it's quite a niche crowd.

Thomas Was Alone, an example of a really simple game with a simple idea but executed very well. I believe it's very much focused on storytelling, which seems to be your focus as well from what you're saying; maybe there's something there you can take?
I got most of my inspiration from Mojang and Notch. I loved Minecraft, but when I got into programming (Mojang inspired me to start) I stopped playing it. So yes, I am familiar with the indie industry. The game wont have really complex physics. Thanks for telling me that it's called isometric view, and for telling me it's 2D.

Since it wont have complex physics, can I just calculate the physics myself?

Thank you all for all your advice. This forum is great! Better than stack exchange because I don't get banned for asking a question
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.