compiler not working

I use dev c++ on my dell xps 8500. 64 bit system windows 7 home premium i have been studying some algorithms and now i wanted to try them out. But the problem i face is that THE EXE FILE CREATED AFTER COMPILATION DOESNT DISPLAY ANYTHING AT ALL I MEAN EVEN IF ALGORITHM IS POOR LIKE BRUTE FORCE OR SOMETHING IT SHOULD SHOW OVERFLOW OR TIMEOUT OR SOMETHING AT LEAST.. I BOUGHT THIS NEW PC ONLY FOR PROGRAMMING BUT IT HASNT BEEN FRUITFUL YET I SHUD HV GOT 32 BIT SYSTEM.....CAN U SUGGEST SOME OTHER COMPILER/ALTERNATIVE TO GET GOOD RESULTS. WHAT OTHER WAYS COULD I ADOPT and my competition requires some gcc g++ standards can u pls help me with what c++ version to use mingw .. c++11. Its all confusing..my competition site link is http://www.iarcs.org.in/inoi/about_gcc.php. any article on versions of c++ and their standards becoz competition environment is unknown
THE EXE FILE CREATED AFTER COMPILATION DOESNT DISPLAY ANYTHING AT ALL I MEAN EVEN IF ALGORITHM IS POOR LIKE BRUTE FORCE OR SOMETHING IT SHOULD SHOW OVERFLOW OR TIMEOUT OR SOMETHING AT LEAST

Why should it if you don't program it to do so? Switching compilers isn't going to make up for the inadequacies of poorly constructed code.
The link you sent 404'd. The punctuation in your post doesn't help either.

Now for something (hopefully) helpful. Don't worry about your x64 system, this is not the problem. You could code/compile on your phone if you wanted.

If you're having trouble in general, try compiling a "Hello World" example.
#include <iostream>
using namespace std;

int main()
{
    cout << "Hello World" << endl;
    return 0;
}

Do you see the output? If not, it could be a problem with how you are running the exe. Are you launching the EXE from inside of Dev C++, from Windows Explorer, or from the command line? Which version of Dev C++ are you using (bloodshed or orwell)? Avoid bloodshed like the plague. Three free alternatives are: Visual Studio Express, Qt Creator, Code::Blocks.
Last edited on
thanks for your concern ...
I AM QUITE KEEN TO MAKE SOME PROGRESS IN INFORMATICS OLYMPIAD AND ACM-ICPC BUT ALL THESE TECHNICAL YET NON-ALGORITHMIC PROBLEMS ARE POSING A BIG PROBLEM

by the way if u just have time the competition website is http://www.iarcs.org.in/inoi/about_gcc.php

or just just google " inoi " its the first result

Switching from Turbo C++ to gcc/gpp: Some common problems
IARCS home > OLYMPIAD > Current

Do not use
#include <conio.h>
You will not need any functions from this header (e.g., clrscr(), getch()).

Note: The Dev-C++ and Code::Blocks compilers are based on gcc, but both of them allow some non-gcc header files, notably conio.h. Please rememmber not to use conio.h, otherwise your programs will not compile under gcc on the evaluation server.

For C++ header files such as iostream.h, leave out the suffix .h when including the file. That is, use
#include <iostream>
rather than
#include <iostream.h>
Note: The does not apply to C header files such as stdio.h. For C header files, include the suffix .h, as usual. For example:
#include <stdio.h>
After the header files, add the line
using namespace std;
to ensure that C++ finds the functions cin and cout.

Define main as int main() rather than void main().

To summarize, here is how a typical C++ program using gcc/gpp would look:
#include <iostream>
using namespace std;

int main(){
cout << "Hello world\n";
}

this is what that site says

MY DEV C++ IS FROM ORWELL , LIKE I SAID I KNOW VERY VERY WELL WHAT DOES A BASIC HELLO WORLD PROGRAM LOOK LIKE IN TURBO C++ AS WELL AS WHATEVER THIS GCC /ANSI /MINGW (I DONT KNOW WHAT TO CALL THIS VERSION WHERE using namespace std; is compulsory)
BUT THATS WHAT MY PROBLEM IS THE EXE BLACK SCREEN STAYS BLANK (NOT UNRESPONSIVE IT CAN BE CLOSED WITH (ALT +F4) BUT NO OUTPUT AT ALL NOR THERE IS ANY DIAGNOSTIC STATEMENT )

THIS PROBLEM REPEATS AFTER EVERY 10 DAYS SO,
I REINSTALL THE COMPILER AGAIN N AGAIN AND RECACHE ALL HEADER FILES THEN THE PROBLEM IS RECTIFIED

THANKS AGAIN
Please take off the CAPSLOCK KEY, IT'S HARD TO READ WHEN YOU'RE YELLING.

So wait, your Windows 7 console works for 10 days, then will stop? When you re-install Orwell DevC++, it works for 10 days again and then stops? That's very strange.

When happens if you run the EXE from the windows console or from windows explorer? (Bypass Dev C++). Do you have the same behavior?

Note, I don't actually know much about orwell Dev C++. MS Visual Studio will always work (Just hit CTRL+F5 to run your program) as will Qt Creator or Code::Blocks. You will not need to worry about what hello world looks like in each compiler because they should all follow the same C++ standard.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.