C++ book for experienced C programmer recommendation request

Hello people at C++ forum.

This is to ask for a recommendation of C++ book(s) aimed to the expert C programmer.

I consider myself an experienced C programmer with OOP concept knowledge, and do not want to pass through the typical data type, pointer, do- while, for loop, etc. explanation that most of the C++ books.

May be the book I am looking for does not exist.

Thank you in advance for your attention and help.

Regards,

Alejandro.
closed account (zb0S216C)
The only books I can think of are Exceptional C++ and More Exceptional C++ by Herb Sutter and Effective C++ and More Effective C++ by Scott Meyers.

Wazzak
Last edited on
closed account (3qX21hU5)
It all depends really if you are looking for a book that concentrates of the base of C++ the books Framework recommended are great and will show you some very nice things about design and what to do and not do.

Though they are mainly based on normal C++, meaning they don't concentrate on libraries which is what you will be using for most real programs.

So really think of what you want to do and what interests you. Do you like GUI programming? If so go learn about QT Library or wxWidgets. Do you like network programming? Go grab some books on network programming with a library in your respective OS. Do you like graphics programming? For books you are going to be only looking at probably openGL and DirectX books. Do you like games programming? Go grab some books on a good game engine like UnrealEngine or Unity engine or Orge 3D (Mix between a graphics API and game engine).

There are many subject to learn after you get the basics of C++ down and most of them are not just mastering C++ they also involve learning new libraries and how they work.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.