Clearing a Map of Pointers

Hey guys,

I was wondering... is this considered safe?

map<string, int*> map;

int i = 10;
int j = 15;

map.emplace("one", &i);
map.emplace("two", &j);

map.clear();

What I'm asking is, is using std::map::clear() sufficient enough to prevent memory leaks or memory errors when storing those pointers? Does it deallocate data? Does it set the pointer to nullptr?

Or should I use an iterator to iterate through the map to do this all myself?

Thanks,
Tresky
Last edited on
> Does it deallocate data?

It does not deallocate the data that is pointed to by the int*

> Or should I use an iterator to iterate through the map to do this all myself?

You should use a std::map< std::string, std::vector<int> > instead, and save yourself a whole lot of trouble; in this case, the map would take care of all memory management.

EDIT: In the code snippet that you posted, there is no memory leak: the integers i and j are not allocated dynamically.

In
map<string, int*> map;

map.emplace("one", new int(0) );
map.emplace("two", new int(5) );

map.clear();

there would be a leak.
Last edited on
You should use a std::map< std::string, std::vector<int> > instead, and save yourself a whole lot of trouble; in this case, the map would take care of all memory management.

Hmm... I'm only wanting to store one value at each map position though. How does this make the map handle the memory management?
> I'm only wanting to store one value at each map position though

Then why not just std::map< std::string, int >?

std::map< std::string, int > m ;
map.emplace("one", 0 );
map.emplace("two", 5 );

and the map will take care of everything.
Well, this is a simplified version of what I want to do. The full version is two classes.

class Holder
{
    public:
    void Load(const Held* _h, string _key)
    {
        objects.emplace(key, _h);
    }

map<string, Held*> objects;
};

class Held
{
    /* ... */
};

int main()
{
    Holder holder;

Held held;
    holder.Load("one", &held);

// This is just so Holder can render and update the values
    // inside of Held, but the user can still maintain control of
    // what Held does from the outside.
}

EDIT: This is still very simplified, but it's gets across the general idea. I really just want to make sure I don't leave any stray pointers pointing to some random memory positions. Haha.
Last edited on
The map would then just keep a pointer to Held. If the pointed Held object was allocated using new, the map would not release it. If it was not, as in the code above, there is no issue.

How is the Held object created?
Held held; as in your code? There is no issue.
Or Held* h = new Held( /* ... */ ) ; ? Someone would have to delete it eventually, and that someone is not the map.
If you are intending to create a map with keys that are pointers you want the map to handle deletion for, you can use a boost::ptr_map.
Okay, awesome! :)

Once more question, will the map clear any references from the pointers inside of it. As in, will it set them to nullptr to make sure there aren't any "dangling pointers"?
> As in, will it set them to nullptr to make sure there aren't any "dangling pointers"?

The map will release all the pointers. There would be no pointers left in the map once you call clear()
Okay thank you so much! :) I really appreciate it.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.