MinGW doesn't compile

Hello everyone. I usually used Cygwin to do my compiling for c/c++ programs, but I want to get into gui programming and need MinGW for it. I did download it, but when I try to go compile any programs, it gives me an ".exe has stopped running, windows checking for solution to problem" or something similar to that. How can I get it to work properly?
Last edited on
**UPDATE**

MinGW will run my c codes with no problem, but the c++ codes will not compile.
I got this to work in Code::Blocks. It was this statement within the linker settings that I needed to add: -static-libgcc -static-libstdc++

But it still kind of bothers me; how do you get it to work for MinGW?
Just answered my own question. Just got to add that as an argument within the command line. If there is an easier way please write it down below.
did u change anything when installing the C::B? it works fine for me, all i did was just click install next finish. try to look around the C::B wiki, there should be something there.
I was able to find a way to fix it online for C::B
However you don't really need to static link c++ libraries. You need only to be sure that DLLs needed are placed in the same directory where executable file is placed.

Try to figure how to set up correctly all things (for example adding PATHs and system vars)

Note: I am used to work directly with Mingw gcc from command line (or creating Makefiles or using qmake projects). I never use IDEs, so I probably could miss something
> I am used to work directly with Mingw gcc from command line (or creating Makefiles or using qmake projects).
> I never use IDEs, so I probably could miss something

You are infinitely better off that the "take away my IDE and I'm dead, show me a make file and I'll faint" crowd.

Ah, I see, the IDE is not the compiler! How interesting!

And you can actually debug code without an IDE? You are trying to say that the IDE is not the debugger either? Aw, c'mon, I now know for sure that you are pulling my leg.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.