part time job

Hello everyone, my name is Mario.
this summer im thinking for applying for a job that is linked to programming. i have been coding with python for a year and was wondering if there are any part time jobs available for a 16 year old. if you could help me put, i will really appreciate it. :)
Thanks for taking the time to read this
I'm not going to say no, but I will say that it will be very hard for you to find a job with just a year of Python under your belt. I recommend at least getting to know 2 - 3 other languages: C++, Java and C# are one of the most popular languages.

I wouldn't give up per se, you can freelance for a while and slowly build up a portfolio, but knowing multiple languages is key here. :)

If you plan on going to university, then go ahead; they sometimes offer co-op education where you can work while in school.

If you need help, email me at: sparkprogrammer@gmail.com;
Last edited on
I'd have to agree with Little Captain, having multiple languages under your belt will most certainly be a big advantage. But what may actually help you more if you were to successfully get a job, would be having at least some experience in your language(s) and lots of frameworks.

Personally I consider myself quite competent at C++ as a language, and I know how to use some of the std namespace (enough to do whatever I've worked on so far with ease). However you'll see that a lot of people will want networking, GUIs, heavy file manipulation, maybe even things like audio or animation... This is where I personally would fall short. I could use one of the .NET languages (C#, VB) for easy GUIs but that's about it.

Learn as much as you can (and practice with) as many different language frameworks as you can. Learn the std libraries, networking, the Windows APIs, the boost libraries, OpenGL and/or DirectX, perhaps even learn to use Qt and its creator IDE. All of these are C/C++ but they add so much to work with.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.