Portfilio Ideas

I am a college student trying to get a job as a developer, but due to the lack of a CS degree I feel it all comes down to my actually experience and skill. The only way I can think of to display said skill is with a portfilio, but I don't know what to create to put in it. The languages I know well enough to used professionally are C/C++ (obviously), Java, HTML, CSS, Visual Basic and C#.
The platforms I have worked on are Windows(Although it almost always using C# and Visual Studios) and Android.
I've also picked up the LibGDX and Bootstrap (but my skill with JavaScript, JQuery, and AJAX is shoddy at best) frameworks.
I've started and know the basic of SQL but my I still have trouble with integrating it with another language and truly have no idea how go any further with it without a server to practice on.
Anyway, I was looking for ideas to improve repertoire or portfilio.
Try making a few small and simple games. You could even try writing an emulator for some simpler systems, like the original GameBoy (The GBA is quite a complex beast, so you should stay away from it for now!) or the NES.
Thank for the reply, an emulator may be good, I had been interested in writing one back in high school and everyone I spoke to suggest starting with older consoles (8-bit chip) and working my way up. Also, I am actually already writing about three games in Java with LibGDX but its turning out that all of them are really big. The one I'm putting in my portfilio is a dungeon-crawler which generates a random 3D maze. I finished everything but the battle sequences and models for the characters. Honestly, I wanted to add something that leaned away from games because I thought it might lessen my value as anything other than a game developer.
If you aren't looking to write games, you could try other more general projects.

You could try writing a high-performance network server. On Windows, look into the "I/O Completion Ports" API. Try making a server that transfers files to a client upon request.
What kind of area do you want to work in- games, mobile apps, security, business...?
A portfolio should fit into this category.
It might also be a good to study the job market in the area where you live.
Maybe you could also get some professional advice from a job centre.
@JagerDesu - I've done alittle research and I think I'm gonna take your idea. Thanks a lot.
@Thomas1965 - I live in pittsburgh, pa, usa. Here the job market isn't geared towards any specific area, but programmer are in high demand. Personally, I would like to be a Java or VB developer or System Analyst but most colleges here only teach Java and VB for UI Design purposes and because of that a lot of graduates compete for the Java/VB positions. Most System Analyst positions require some workplace experience or that you be promoted from the inside. That why I want to build a portfilio that demonstrates current skill set and my ability to adapt to different projects.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.