• Forum
  • Jobs
  • Searching for buddies for which coding a

Searching for buddies for which coding at C++ is a hobby

Hello there,

I'm a passionate hobby coder, all my knowledge I have taught by myself with books and tutorials. But I'm still alone with my hobby. Because I never studied computer science at an university, I don't know other coders in real life. So it would be great if someone want to share his (her) time spending for coding together some projects (it would be some funny games I guess :) with me.

I invite all hobbyists with a beginner/mediate knowledge level at C++. At time I dive into learning coding games with the SFML framework.
So if you learned coding by books/courses and have no or little experience in coding real world programs but want to gather such, you are cordially invited to join

Btw: I live in GMT+1 zone :-)
Last edited on
Hey,

I am looking for a programmer on my game page: http://vvivs.com
Do you have any portfolio?
@pablos Sorry, but I have absolutely no experience in developing browser games. All I know is using C++ - and - for some time I had took a MOOC at programming with Python - but that was a few years ago and I used that language nevermore since then, because I missed the strong typing of C++ which prevents for many runtime errors (which get fetched at compiling time). Beside this, I would like to grow up my skills by sharing my code with others.
Hey nuderobmonkey,

my friend and I had this idea before as well but never pulled ourselves together to really start learning and get good at programming. As soon as I saw your post though, it reminded me of him so i asked him if he would be interested to do it now and we would be very happy to join you on your adventure.

I will be starting a traineeship as a specialst in application development and he will be studying computer science later that year, so maybe we can share some of our knowledge with you later on.

If you are interested just PM me, I will look them up every once in a while.

Btw: We are both from Germany, too. ;)
I'm interested, I'm a hobby coder as well, I made games with pygame in school and am learning SDL and c++
@elff1493 responsed via PM
Hi another hobby coder here, I would like to join. I have some experience with SDL and SFML using C++.
just as an idea: hang out in your local hackerspace, go to meetups, go to hackathons. You even may score a job this way.
If still someone wants to join, here an invitation link at our discord channel:

https://discord.gg/7AM52RR
Just saying hi, but basically I am in the same boat. Only a hobbyist at the moment as I never went them colleges you hear about. But I love making games with sfml and I have lately been tinkering around with the godot game engine. Its a lot of fun. I don't know if I could be much use in your group as I don't yet have a computer. But watch out world, if I get one then it is go time baby!!!
Dropping by, i am on the same boat. Never went to colleges or any institutional that taught the subject, purely based on interest and self taught with books, tutorials and sometimes friends advice.
i'd love to make some games, but then again i'm a total newbie on this thing so most likely i won't be much of a help.
Love the thread guys!

I was a passionate hobby programmer, now I play other games saying "That's a nice feature, I want that in my game."

BUT, with that said, here is my template game engine, it's just text, but it's a place to start with C++

// Created June 4, 2017
 // Author: Feral Crafter
 // With: Hungry Wolf Studios

// Purpose: A starting point for any one who wants to make a text game

// Notes:
 // A lot of effort goes into any game. I know I had something playable
 // by 100 hours, but a good game by 600 hours.

// If you publish a game or hand it out, all I ask is a "Special Thanks to Hungry Wolf Studios"

#include<iostream>
 #include<conio.h> // for kbhit();

using namespace std;

// declaring globals ... which is bad form!
 int g_quit=0; // quit if this value = 1

// basic tools
 void pause(void) {
   cout << "\nPRESS ANY KEY TO CONTINUE ... ";
   do {} while(!kbhit());
   _getch();
   cout << endl;
 }

// processing key stroke here
 void KeyStroke(char keyPress) {

switch(keyPress) {
       case 'q': { // we quit the game
         cout << "You pressed: " << keyPress << endl;
         g_quit = 1;
         break;
       }
     default:
       cout<< keyPress << " is not a valid keystroke" << endl;
       break;
     }
 }

int main(void) {

cout << "Welcome to my game: \n";
 pause();

char choice;
 int counter = 0;

do {
   cout << "Press a key: (\"Q\" to quit)\n";
   do{ // this is where the magic happens
     if(counter>9999) { counter=0; cout << "\r \r"; } // make sure we don't have a run away number
     cout << "\r" << counter;
     counter++;
   } while(!kbhit()); // This keeps the system running while you wait on the player
   cout << endl;
   choice = _getch();
   KeyStroke(choice);
 } while(g_quit==0);

cout << "\nTHANK YOU FOR PLAYING" << endl;
   pause();
   return 0;
 }

PM me if you are interested in more
What is Hungry Wolf Studios? I tried to google it and all that comes up is some unrelated business in Australia that makes concrete bench tops.
It's my hobby game programming company. Yah, I don't have any ads from google, so my site doesn't take any priority over others.(http://www.hungrywolfstudios.com)

The site name is plural "studios", and I thought I got the singular as well, but it looks like some one took that. Oh well, I can only win in my own games XD.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.