Java, or C++?

Pages: 1... 567
Real programmers don't use Python, real programmers us a magnetized needle and a steady hand.

No real programmers make accurate use of the butterfly effect to successfully allow an alpha particle to hit the correct point on an HDD at the perfect conditions such that that bit changes to the pre-calculated desired state.
I see XKCD once more rears its ugly head to pollute this forum.
I see XKCD once more rears its ugly head to pollute this forum.

I am guessing you do not like them. Why not?
De gustibus non est disputandum.
closed account (3qX21hU5)
In matters of taste there and be no dispute

Ohh gezz studying latin in school actually payed off for once
closed account (N36fSL3A)
I wish I took latin, lol.

Anyway, this topic appears to be solved. It didn't turn out the way I'd expected, detrailing like a train going over an area of missing tracks. Heh.

I think the OP should click the solved button. That'd be nice.
@xerzi

Idk if python was just a random example, but that is probably the opposite when python 3 came out and all your code was written in python 2

I picked Python because I know a lot of organisations that prototype and do development in Python over Fortran/C++ because it reduces the cost of development significantly. The amount of they save in development costs is A LOT more than they dump in to hardware to compensate.
Is python like basic or somthing?

I read that it was very in-efficient in the area of memory management (automatic memory management...), so it isn't good for things like... whatever uses a lot of processor power to run.

Can you write GUI program in python faster than in C++ or somthing?
I'd say if the development environment decision is influenced by what the local college produces, or if the company can stay in business after migrating to cheaper development/more expensive hardware, it wasn't dependent on the technology to begin with (or used the wrong technology). Which is probably true for a lot of software development out there.

Zaita wrote:
High-Frequency Trading has been one of the mainstays of C++, [...] By huge operation I mean one that takes days/weeks to complete.. e.g hindcasting, forecasting).

Are you talking about high-frequency or quant? When I think of modern HFT, I think of 100-1000 trades per millisecond.
IWishIKnew wrote:
Is python like basic or somthing?

Are you asking "is it, like, basic" or "is is it like BASIC"? The answer is no to both anyway.

I read that it was very in-efficient in the area of memory management (automatic memory management...), so it isn't good for things like... whatever uses a lot of processor power to run.

Yes.

Can you write GUI program in python faster than in C++ or somthing?

A tentative "yes".
closed account (3qX21hU5)
Python is about 50 times slower then C. Though python wasn't built to be a fast language. It was built to be very user friendly and easier to accomplish stuff quickly in. Some programs that would have took me hours to make in C++ only took a half hour in python.

As for GUI question... that is a tuff one. Python is kind of lacking in the GUI department but I would still consider it easier and faster to make a GUI in. Though GUI is not where python shines. You have to remember every language is better at some thing and worse at others.

If you want to know what python is good at and what it is like to program in it why not do a google search or head on over to codeacademy.com and check it out?
Last edited on
@Cubbi Both. I've seen large companies turning to the likes of Java for it's HFT and Python for Quant. Forecasting/hindcasting weather in Python. As I said C++ was the mainstay, and while it's still heavily represented other languages have made inroads in to the those domains.

The same can be said for looking back 20yrs ago when Fortran was the main language and C++ started to come in.
wow... the thread really died down. After seeing all of the arguments, I was expecting this to be an oil fire, to never die out, lol.
I wish I never learned java,

I learned about the fundamentals of programming using c++ and feel like I was learning a new subject fast, I was frustrated that I couldn't do anything powerful yet like make chat programs, computer games or those little programs you make to explore ideas until I worked really hard and thats what made me learn c++ as hard as possible, a nice hard to reach goal,

java comes along and I just slot the bits together like lego, It feels like a computer game that I have played to death.

sooner I get sfml running the better
closed account (1yR4jE8b)
don't ever learn Python then...
Last edited on
I wanna start learning Prolog. Constraint based programming is fascinating.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.
Pages: 1... 567