• Forum
  • Lounge
  • Perfect programming environment (not IDE

Perfect programming environment (not IDE)

I was just curious to know what people do when they are ready to program. Such as your surroundings, do you listen to music, or do you prefer silence, or just ambient noise? do you get a coffee and get to work? do you have a certain area to do it in(laptop users). I was just curious, I do most of my programming at my current job, I have a lot of spare time here, but I am constantly interrupted(to help customers, I'm a clerk), and I always have music on(again for the customers). This is only temporary, but it works for now.

music normaly messes with my head but I can listen to cool chilled stuff like fat freddies drop or rjd2s chilled tracks, or nightmares on wax, I sit in the bed with a tiny little laptop and drink supermalt and pull faces at my girlfriend from time to time so she knows i know shes still there.

perfect programming enviroment would be hula girl on ukalale, coconut cocktail, hammock and desert island.

I suppose I got a bit of each part of the ideal enviroment, if only I could switch hounslow for the bahamas,

any hackers out there are welcome to make me a native of hawaii and get me deported from the UK (in that order)
Last edited on
Silence most of the time, lyric-less music for game programming or designing. The thing to note for me is that I cant stand clutter at my desk, either at home or at work. Everything has a place; if not, I simply cant use that desk. I also find dual-monitors to be a huge help to keep things organized.

twiggystardust wrote:
do you get a coffee and get to work?

I think I have more caffeine in my veins then blood at this point...
Last edited on
I'm more of a tea drinker myself.
closed account (3qX21hU5)
It depends what I am doing. If I am trying to teach myself a new concept I always do it a few hours before I go to bed, since I read a study that when learning new things it is better to do it right before you go to bed since it will be fresh on your mind when you sleep and your brain will process the information better.

For projects I usually need some sort of ambient noise that I can listen to while programming. It also helps for me when I run into a problem to start doing something menial such as watching tv or playing a game while I am working through the problem.
closed account (zb0S216C)
twiggystardust wrote:
"I was just curious to know what people do when they are ready to program. Such as your surroundings, do you listen to music, or do you prefer silence, or just ambient noise?"

I have to want to program first of all.

I do listen to music, specifically D&B or Dubstep, that have no lyrics and aren't too overwhelming with instruments, such as"Tear Your Soul" by "Muffler". As for my surroundings, I like to be near natural light and I have to be breathing fresh air in order to concentrate. I do have other requirements, such as being left alone, I have to have an idea of what I'm doing and I have to eat a health meal before starting or else I'll feel sluggish.

twiggystardust wrote:
"do you get a coffee and get to work?"

I drink decaffeinated tea. I get my caffeine from Red Bull, and I drink a lot of it.

I do have a fragile concentration level, so I have to work pretty damn hard to maintain it.

Wazzak
Last edited on
I like busy environments - server lab, generator-powered test facility, trading floor, etc - things that don't look relaxing. When I look away from the screen, I want to see my oscilloscope running latency tests, moving pieces of hardware, tangled wires of the g4pb24's and snap modules, and other busy people. I find this motivating. Cubicles and offices are for paperwork and web browsing.
usually how it works out is I'll have some sort of soft electronica playing on my speakers, the room will be dimly lit, but not so much that the monitor will put too much strain on my eyes. I'll have a web browser full screen on one monitor, the editor/ide open on the center monitor, and the terminal (for either compiling, testing, or catching output) open alongside the media player on the left.
closed account (1yR4jE8b)
I get my caffeine from Red Bull, and I drink a lot of it.

I do have a fragile concentration level,

You don't say?
Cubbi wrote:
I like busy environments

I am the absolute opposite. When I am on a KVM console or a laptop in a server room with no mouse I get so frustrated with my ineffectiveness. The air-conditioning, lack of a chair at the console, and the -10C temperatures distract me like crazy. I NEED my dual monitors and quiet to be effective. When I am at the office (it's an open office) and I need to concentrate, I use noise-cancelling head-phones and listen to something repetitive.

I like Pink Floyd: Animals or Shine on you crazy diamond. Something that lasts a while without demanding my attention. I like Herbie Hancock for some jazz/funk sometimes too.
closed account (zb0S216C)
darkestfright wrote:
"You don't say?"

~logic.

Wazzak
closed account (N36fSL3A)
I just program wherever. I have no preference.
I have to wait until the kids are asleep, otherwise, they keep interrupting and bugging me. I can't concentrate enough to get anything done. Which is why I retired (since I could afford to.)

Still, like to do it a bit as a hobby when I get the chance.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.