3D printer firearm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-22421185

Apparently this thing fires caliber .22 rounds. The barrel life is also quite short, most likely. It's plastic after all. Regardless, this is impressive.

3D printers will probably be very widespread in the near future. People will be able to create their own spare parts and casings... for anything.
And thousand companies will start screaming about copyright and demand to abide by law to include DRM in every printer, outlaw open-source printers and to make printing one spare part to your laptop equal to theft of thousand of similar laptops (lost profit... cough...)
closed account (3qX21hU5)
They are very amazing technology. People always think the plastic they use for the printing is very flimsy(Which some are like the polyjet material), but in reality some of plastic they use can be almost as hard as metal.

Its quite amazing what they can do with the technology, like these building 3D printed arm things for this little girl http://investors.stratasys.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=735854

My dad works with Redeye/Stratasys which is the front runner in the 3D printing industry now that they merged with the Israeli company Objet. Its quite amazing taking a tour of their facilities and watching the machines at work. Also get the bonus of if they aren't using a machine and have extra material I can print up anything I want like figurines from games, cell phone covers and this cool rubik's cube I got ;p.

3D printers will probably be very widespread in the near future. People will be able to create their own spare parts and casings... for anything.

Thats the plan from what I hear. The cheapest model printer at the moment I believe is Mojo http://stratasys.com/3d-printers/idea-series/mojo which is basically like a home printer. It can only print small things, and it is still pretty expensive at the moment but once the technology advances I believe they could drop it into a more affordable range that would be in the average users range.
Last edited on
building 3D printed arm
I heard about ear, part of skull and bone fragments. Also there is 3D printers printing with metal. They could print even model rocket engine. 3D printing can simplify many things and allows infinite uses for creative mind.
There is even plans for 3D printers printing human organs. From what I remember last they were able to make simple structures like veins.
its no big deal being able to make a gun, its pretty easy you just need a tube a rubber band and a ball bearing and you can make something fire as many bullets as you would like, getting hold of bullets though is a different thing alltogether,and making them, that would be harder for a n amateur gun maker to get away with undetected, it will be done eventually though
Last edited on
I had made black gunpowder in 7th grade. It is quite simple. Bullet and casting is no problems too. Primer can be difficult, but you can make something like flintlock mechanism instead.
yeah I guess, I didnt think they used black powder and primer, I thought they used primer and one of dynamites closest relatives.

I used to make rockets with with a simlar recipie to black powder when I was a kid, 911 made it a bit too controversial to play with exlposives like most healthy kids did back then
Last edited on
closed account (3qX21hU5)
its no big deal being able to make a gun, its pretty easy you just need a tube a rubber band and a ball bearing and you can make something fire as many bullets as you would like

Your joking right? It is amazingly hard to make a gun, and out of 99% plastic it is much harder yet. They aren't building rubber band guns ;p, one false design or flaw in the plastic and that gun can blow up in your hand.
its amazingly easy to fire a bullet, you just tap the little schmizzle in the back and kaboom.
urban american tribes used to call them 'zip guns' they didnt blow themselves up because they didn't use high caliburs
Last edited on
Firearms are very simple machines. 3D printing one is, well, more work than necessary...
It won't be wide-spread until the material becomes much cheaper. We printed out some monitor stands for work, they cost us $150 each. That's just counting the ABS plastic that was used, not including the support material. The amount of material that made up the end-product was about enough to fill a 20-oz water bottle. If you want to make anything bigger than a water bottle, be ready to throw a few hundred at it.
closed account (N36fSL3A)
I want to make a flintlock musket. I'm fascinated with history :D
you would go down for that in this country, don't blow your head off you need it.
Last edited on
closed account (N36fSL3A)
I want to hand craft it though.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.