Open GL and SDL

Pages: 12
closed account (N36fSL3A)
Well I think I'm pretty solid with SDL, but now I want to move on to 3d games or advanced 2d games. Can someone point me in the right direction on where I can find a tutorial on OpenGL with SDL? I'm looking for an entire series of tutorials. Thanks in advance.
Umm opengl is a whole other animal...it's still programming but it's programming with a whole lot of 3d topics and os programming(unless you use like glut or sfml or something as such) I would recommend instead learning another language instead of trying opengl....But you can do what you want i have wasted a lot of time trying to figure out opengl Not saying it's bad just very complicated
It's not complicated necessarily unless you struggle in maths a lot. OpenGL can take a lot of math.
supperpiccle wrote:
Umm opengl is a whole other animal...it's still programming but it's programming with a whole lot of 3d topics and os programming(unless you use like glut or sfml or something as such)

Topic: OpenGL and SDL

Anyways you can follow NeHeGL's tutorials (Who are a bit outdated let's say).
DO NOT go to NeHe's stuff it is outdated badly the path opengl is taking now with shaders is the way you need to go as young as you are

What NeHe teaches is depreciated and allready taken out of newer versions of opengl
Last edited on
learn math, devise your own proofs for certain things, make a rasterizer, benefit.
^ Software rendering?
http://www.videotutorialsrock.com

He uses GLUT for windowing and whatnot, but his OpenGL examples are swiggity sweet. They come in text and video form, and he provides the source code for each one.
Last edited on
He uses GLUT for windowing and whatnot, but his OpenGL examples are swiggity sweet.

Just checking out the first "tutorial" source code he's using the (deprecated) fixed pipeline functions. If that's representative, it doesn't look like a good source for up-to-date OpenGL.
Lol supperpiccle, why'd you tell me to learn another language? I don't want to learn another, I want to learn OpenGL, which is an API. NGen, I'm looking through the tutorials currently.

Just checking out the first "tutorial" source code he's using the (deprecated) fixed pipeline functions. If that's representative, it doesn't look like a good source for up-to-date OpenGL.
All OGL tutorials start like that. A tutorial that immediately throws you into VBOs and shaders would be rather bad.
I've found and used one who used VBO til the beginning and for me who knew already, was good enough.
4 full minutes to write this because of water in keybd and onscreen keyboard in use... :c
While we're on the subject of OpenGL, has anyone found a way to get meaningful error information from OpenGL? GL_INVALID_OPERATION and GL_INVALID_VALUE tend to get old very quickly.
Anyone know of better, very vivid explanations of openGL? Or can someone point me to a trig book or something?
These are much more modern tutorials:
http://www.arcsynthesis.org/gltut - More complete, but uses an older version of OpenGL (3.3)
http://openglbook.com/the-book/ - Uses a more recent version of OpenGL (4.0) but isn't complete (and it looks like it hasn't been updated in a long while, so it probably won't ever be completed). Some of the code can be modified to support OpenGL 3.x.

@helios
Both of these tutorials go straight into VAOs, VBOs and shaders. Call it a baptism by fire. There's no point going through the fixed-function pipeline because no-one uses it any more. I'm pretty sure recent iterations of OpenGL don't even have any of the FFP functions any more anyway. If you're using the FFP, you're wasting time, IMO.
Last edited on
Do you think by the end of these tutorials I can make a DOOM type game?
The hard side is not in the graphics, but is in the physics.
Just my opinion.

You will be able to create a DOOM-like game if you UNDERSTAND your tutorials, the API functions and everything.

I don't think the tutorials plan on making a fully featured DOOM game.

But it probably teaches you how to draw a model and using textures.
Last edited on
Is there a recommended way to learn OpenGL? I'm trying to follow these tutorials but I'm losing interest and I feel like rushing through. I want to learn it quickly, but I want to also understand it.
ok I have the opengl supperbibble 5th edition...It is very well written explains itself and you use opengl 3.3(pretty new) The very first part takes a lil while to understand everything but once you do you feel like a 3d god:P
Lol.
Pages: 12