HD SPACE

Pages: 123
closed account (N36fSL3A)
AHHHH WHAT DO I DO?! MY HARDDRIVE HAS 100 mb LEFT!!!! AHHHHHH

Lol. But seriously it does have 100 mb left. Would you recommned me getting a new laptop, a new HD, or buy some flashdrives?
cplusplus.com maturity graph:
\
 \
  \
   \
    \
     \_
       \
        \
         \
         |
         |
         |
lol, external HD?
closed account (3qX21hU5)
Delete your old junk? Or do what I did setup a NAS server with 4TB storagr and your good for storage on all your machines.
My first hard drive had space for 80MB, when it was new.

The essential task is to classify the files into bins. For example: OS, programs, active documents, archived documents, reproducible, and temporary files. These deserve different access speed and backup schema. The classification leads to a plan about what you do need.
I live with at most 120 mb left on system drive (after rebooting, which deletes all temporary files). Cannot even install .NET 4 and have no problems with it :).
I recommend you to buy 1TB external hard drive and dump all your junk onto it, deleting unneeded in process.
Very funny catfish! (because it seems to be true)
My solution to this problem was getting an HDD dock. In the long run it's cheaper, more convenient, and/or safer (in terms of data integrity) than screwing around with portable HDDs or DVDs. When I need more space I can just unload stuff onto an offline disk, or buy another one or two TBs without having to sell internal organs.
I recommend using an eSATA port with the above solution.
You could delete that 90GB folder of naughty pictures.
Never. I'd delete my OS first.
Better to move them to a cloud drive, so you have access to them from everywhere.
Better to move them to a cloud drive, so you and others have access to them from everywhere.

FTFY.

And call me paranoid, but I never could trust HTTPS/SSL. To me it seems it's like asking the same courier to transport a locked box, and its key. I can only see one Ethernet wire.

Edit: wait a minute... asymmetric encryption. Where's Schneier when you need him?
Last edited on
https://mega.co.nz/
AFAIR encryption/decryption is done on client side here.
http://windirstat.info/
Use this to find your junk, them promptly delete it.
LB I can't delete that. That's 2 years worth of pictures and video.

By the way, its 91 GB ;)

Basically what I'm getting from you guys is I should invest 3000 dollars into a server that has 10 i7 processors with 100 GB of ram and 32 TB. I'll do that.
#thisisajoke

Lol seriously, I think I'm going to have to get a paper route job to save up and pay for a 1-2 TB external HD. How much would that cost?
Last edited on by Fredbill30
Hell I would pay 3 grand for a server like that ; p

And you can get a external 1 TB drive for under $50 if you watch for sales on newegg.com
Last edited on
typo, 30 grand. Anyway, is the 1 TB HD for lappies?
Its external so its for anything with a usb port uaually. They can be more though if you want usb 3.0 speeds.
duh I'm dumb. I didn't even read the "external" part. Lol.

Would it be fast enough to run a game from it? (with 2.0 speeds)
Don't install games on the external USB drive. Store data on it.

For the #notserious server bit:
10 processors on same node is serious steel. 8 CPU motherboards I do know of, but of course they can be 10-core models, so a 80-core box. For those, 100GiB RAM is peanuts. Dual-CPU nodes reach that hands down. Larger rack chassis tends to have up to 24 hotswap places for HDD. 32TB internal space takes less. However, a storage server requires next to no compute capacity, so all the i7 and RAM would be wasted (exception: ZFS can eat some), and mere 32TB in a SAN is not that much any more.
Pages: 123